Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Railfan Technology > CSX ICOM IC F30GT issues

Date: 01/04/09 14:47
CSX ICOM IC F30GT issues
Author: JoeyGooganelli

I was wondering if anyone out there knew what kind of modifications could help these radios transmit and recieve better. I have thought of trying to purchase a better radio for work and railfanning that would allow me to hear things from a better distance and transmit. I am not exagerating when I say we have problems getting these radios to transmit 1 mile. They gave us new antennas which seemed to up the anty to nearly 7500ft and I have had mine tweaked by the radio shop, but it still isn't that great. Any ideas?

-Joe

Date: 01/04/09 15:09
Re: CSX ICOM IC F30GT issues
Author: Stevelton

In the software, might check just to be sure that it's not programmed for low power.
As for receive, How tight is the squelch set? My Icom's, about 100-130 is threshold.
On a side note, the F30gt's sensitivity is only .25 microvolts at 12db sinad, whereas an Icom V8 is .16 microvolts. You sacrifice sensitivity for selectivity.
I was looking at a few other Icom LMR radios, and looks like most are .25 sensitive.
Steven

Date: 01/04/09 22:57

The radio shop says it is set for 5 watts output. Not sure about the squelch.

-Joe

Date: 01/05/09 07:42
Author: railrob

We went through a similar problem when the Motorola HT 1250 was issued. Transmit was so so but the receive was very poor. After months of dealer trips with no change and lots of trial and error on our part, one of our guys stumbled in to the idea of replacing the stock antenna with a different style antenna off a Motorola MT-1000. Our problems went away and we finally had a radio that could do an excellent job.
I would also ask if the radio was checked for alignment and what the output really is. Just because the software is set for 5 watts doesn't necessarily mean you are getting five watts out of the radio. I would also have the frequency double checked, again looking for what is actually coming out of the radio.

Date: 01/05/09 07:44

I have seen them hook the radio up to an analyzer that showed output. It is better now with a new antenna that is about a foot long on a 5 inch radio. :-) It doesn't recieve further than about a mile. I have a friend who has a yeasu that he can hear trains coming for nearly 10 miles. Mine doesn't even compare. Should "professional" radios perform to the same standards as amatuer radios?

-Joe

Date: 01/05/09 11:00

is the motorola ht1250 capable of doing the digital upgrade the railroads are gonne do in 2012?

-Joe

Date: 01/05/09 11:12
Author: railrob

The Ht 1250 is analog only. I went to a Vertex P-924 so I can get the digital.

I have not used an Icom product since the H-16 days about 20 years ago. It had an issue with the connection from the antenna connector into the circuit board that constantly broke ( blob of solder only)and limited both receive and transmit.

The Icom pro radio should preform very well compared to the ham set. You could have a unit that is bad right from the factory. Had ones before like that but it is rare.

Date: 01/05/09 12:35

One other note, I do have a VHF F3gs, the F30's little brother. It doesnt have the best ears either. But My UHF F24 is the best radio Ive ever owned.
You can access the set mode from the front panel. It means turning the radio off, holding down certain buttons, and turn the radio on, you will be in set mode, and can set the squelch yourself. Download the manual from Icom if you dont already have it, The how to should be in there. If not email me and I can try to walk you through it.
Steven

Date: 01/05/09 14:26

I downloaded it and it didn't mention how to adjust the squelch. Anyone have any tips?

-Joe

Date: 01/05/09 17:01

To enter user set mode from the key pad,

while pressing and holding f2 and f3 (the up down keys) turn the radio on.
"user set mode" will briefly be displayed.
Press and hold for 1 second p0.
use p0 to now scroll through the list. Squelch will look something like this...Sq 150
You can set the squelch anywhere between 0-255. 0 is open, 255 is tight.
Press and hold p0 for 1 second to save the setting. You might then turn off and turn on the radio just to be safe.
Let me know if that works ok.
Steven

Date: 01/05/09 18:00

It was set at 110. I tried to set it down to 75 and the channel stuck open. Also, do you know what the AF is? It was a setting on the menu that allowed up to 256 but was set at 5. Thanks for the help, I finally got my silly beep turned down too. :-)

-Joe

Date: 01/05/09 18:24

For all who are reading, I am leaving my replies here on this thread so all who have Icom LRM radios can benefit from the info.
With that out of the way...
The AF is "audio Frequency", as in speaker volume. This sets the minimum volume that the radio can be turned down to with the volume knob. This way, the dealer can set the radio so the user cannot turn the volume down too far. Again, this can be set from between 0-255.
As for the squenlch level, on my radios I find 130 is about threshold. Some areas may have a lower noise floor, and can set the squelch lower, but for me 130 keeps the radio quiet unless I am near some really strong intermod, like the computer or a gas pump.
Steven

Date: 01/05/09 19:12

Is there a way to increase the output of my mike to a higher volume? BTW, where are you finding the info for this? I have downloaded quite a few manuals to learn this stuff and I can't find anything useful. Thanks again!

-Joe

Date: 01/05/09 19:24

I am a part time Icom LMR dealer, so having the software and a little hands on exprience in the radio field. More of a hobby than anything.
Your question was how do you get more volume from your speaker/mic?
Get a better mic.
Often, people who buy a good Icom radio, fail to pay a few dollars more and get the "heavy duty" mic, which retails for $60, model HM159L. It gives the same audio output as the stock speaker inside the radio.
With the smaller HM158, or any of the "generic" mics, you get what you pay for.

Date: 01/06/09 08:10

The model mic that I got issued is a HM-159SC. It works ok, just not loud.

-Joe

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0643 seconds