Home Open Account Help 384 users online

Railfan Technology > Installation of Lightroom 3.0

Date: 01/27/11 07:16
Installation of Lightroom 3.0
Author: Baxtersta

After acquiring a new iMac, I installed Lightroom 1 and then upgraded to 3.0. Both versions are on the computer. It is curious to me that the installtion fo 3.0 did not uninstall 1.4. Should I remove the prior version myself?
Any comments would be appreciated.

Date: 01/27/11 07:25
Re: Installation of Lightroom 3.0
Author: trainjunkie

Welcome to the world of Mac, where there is no assumption that you want to overwrite a previous version of an application (in most cases). Some applications ask if you want to overwrite the previous version during the installation. But most will install it alongside the previous version.

I often have multiple versions of the same apps on my machine. For instance, I have Photoshop CS3 and CS2. I only keep CS2 because there is one particular filter that I sometimes use that isn't compatible with CS3. I also have Quark XPress 7.5 and also 8.0. I don't care for 8.0 but I keep a copy of it because sometimes people send me 8.0 files, which I cannot open in 7.5. As long as you have the HD space, and the older version isn't causing any problems, there isn't much urgency to remove it. You can if you want, but there may be little to no gain for the trouble.

Date: 01/27/11 13:57
Author: robj

I would assume eliminating a prior version would be application process not an O/S process.
How can the O/S possibly know whether the old software is still needed? but do not know this as a fact for all cases.

My view on deleting old software, if it does not appear to be doing any harm, I leave it alone. But then I am not loading all kinds of stuff anyway. There is some obnoxious stuff you get like with a camera that tries to open every time you download files and "help", those I try to get rid of or disable.

Bob

Date: 01/27/11 14:54
Author: Baxtersta

Thanks guys. Makes sense to me, a PC user moving over to Mac. And the answer shouldn't surprise me since I too have had multiple versions on the old PC using much the same logic as mentioned.

Date: 01/27/11 15:09
Author: QU25C

I maybe the last guy know this but so will make a it question I have photoshop E2 and E6 on my mac and a unlocked E9 if i toss up the E2 will i loss some of the other programs?

Date: 01/27/11 16:42
Author: SeaboardMan

QU25C Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I maybe the last guy know this but so will make a
> it question I have photoshop E2 and E6 on my mac
> and a unlocked E9 if i toss up the E2 will i loss
> some of the other programs?

I don't think so as you always are asked what programs you want to remove.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds