Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Railfan Technology > DSLR Suggestion Please

Date: 10/16/16 13:20
DSLR Suggestion Please
Author: WichitaJct

I'd like to buy a DSLR. I don't need one with lots of whistles and bells that costs a ton of money. I just need one good enough for some rail photography and occasional everyday use. What would you suggest? Thanks for your help.

Date: 10/16/16 14:10
Re: DSLR Suggestion Please
Author: kgmontreal

Nikon D3300 or D3400 available as a package with a telephoto zoom lens.  B&H has the D3400 with 18-55 and 70-300 lenses for $696.

KG

Date: 10/16/16 14:56
Author: SN711

If you are going for the DSLR camera, I would concur on the Nikon D3300/D3400 (I have a Nikon). B&H will always be about the cheapest way to go, but if you have a big box store in your area, you can usually get the same kit there, or at least look at it. Either the Nikon or the comparable Canon kits are good. You can't go wrong either way.

Gary

Date: 10/16/16 17:00
Author: wa4umr

Either Nikon or Canon, whatever the pocket book will support.  Getting a kit is usually a pretty good deal.  They toss in a few inexpensive options but all together, they make a nice package.  A standard lens is usually 18-55mm or something close to that.  Most kits have a telephoto zoom along the lines of 55-250mm that you will probably find to be handy.  Additionally, you probably get a carry case and maybe an extra battery.  Batteries are not cheap so getting one in the kit is a plus.  Batteries last quite awhile in the modern cameras but the extra is nice to have.  Places like Sams Club or Cosco often have kits built for their stores only that provide extra value.  B&H is a great place to buy.  A few buck extra at B&H (or other internet stores) could be offset by not paying a local sales tax.  It's always nice to put your hands on something like that before throwing money at it.  Go to a Wal*mart, or Best Buy or similar store and look and touch.  They might even have a decent special going on at the time.  

Mirrorless cameras are starting to show up more and more in the last year.  I don't have any experience with them but it's something to consider.  They are lighter and smaller.  I suspect that they may be the next big thing in the next few years.  The DSLR has a really big base many accessories today and the mirrorless market will take a few years to catch up.  

I've been using SLR's and DSLR's for nearly 50 years.  I like the feel of them and I use the optical viewfinder probably 99.5% of the time, not the LCD screen on the back.  The mirrorless models do not offer that option.  They may have a similar looking viewfinder but it's an electronic device you're looking at.  It will give you a better idea of what the final photo is going to look like in strange lighting situations.  

It's like buying a car.  Some people like Fords and others prefer Chevy's, Toyota or Honda.  Pick a brand and are you looking for a sports model or a minivan?  You may not like what I like or what your buddy has.  Get what you like and what fits your needs best.  If you want to look at the technical parts of the equation, DP Review is a good place to visit and compare.

Looking forward to seeing your photos posted on here in the next few months.  (Christmas is coming.)

John

Date: 10/16/16 17:34
Author: jkh2cpu

Consider the used market. Both Cannon and Nikon make excellent
cameras; I prefer Nikon as I've been using Nikkor lenses for years.

I bought a used Nikon D300 last year, sent it into the shop for
dusting and focus touchup. I use that with an old Nikkor 24-70
f2.8 lens for my 'travel camera.'

Your possibilities are nearly limitless!

John.

Date: 10/17/16 20:06
Author: mojaveflyer

I agree with all of teh above comments. I shoot Canon and there are some good packages with a couple of lenses from Canon such as a Rebel T5i or a T6i. I started using a  Canon T3i and it's still my back up camera. I've used www.keh.com for 20 years building several camera systems (both film and later digital) and they are very reliable. If you see a particular model camera and are interested in it, you might look at www.dpreview.com for a review of that particular camera. Their reviews go back several years so you can find reviews for older cameras... Once you get a decent camera body you can go back and later get some better lenses,  the better the glass the better results you'll get. Good hunting!

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 10/21/16 18:11
Author: jbwest

You might consider Nikon "refurbished" cameras.  I have bought both refurbed cameras and lenses, and they sure look new to me, and come with a Nikon guarantee.  They just don't have the fancy packaging.  A combination of refurb plus last year's model can get you a good camera and lens at a significant discount.  You can buy direct from Nikon, or dealers like Adorama and B&H usually have them as well.  My travel camera is a little 4 MP D40 and with a decent lens it takes great pix, I have blown some up to 11x14 and they look just fine.  So the older models may not have all the whistles and bells, but they can still take good pix.

JBWX

Date: 10/21/16 20:31
Author: Mgoldman

I'll echo others, in regards to a low to midrange Nikon, and second John's suggestion on refurbished.

I got a refurbhised Canon 5D Mark III and, though I had one odd - Camera would lock up, issue with
it, it did have a 3 month warranty from Canon which should be more than enough time to find any
problems needing to be addressed.

I'd say Nikon vs Canon as I beleive Nikon will give you a much better image (better dynamic range, ie,
you can shoot under trickier lighting with better results).  Of course, that same image quality can be
had in a Sony Mirrorless camera - all the features and controls, but a smaller body - and in some cases,
built in image stablization.

/Mitch

Here's a great site for camera comparisons - Snap Sort - click above (Compare Cameras).
www.snapsort.com

Date: 10/22/16 09:20
Author: exhaustED

Mgoldman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll echo others, in regards to a low to midrange
> Nikon, and second John's suggestion on
> refurbished.
>
> I got a refurbhised Canon 5D Mark III and, though
> I had one odd - Camera would lock up, issue with
> it, it did have a 3 month warranty from Canon
> which should be more than enough time to find any
> problems needing to be addressed.
>
> I'd say Nikon vs Canon as I beleive Nikon will
> give you a much better image (better dynamic
> range, ie,
> you can shoot under trickier lighting with better
> results).  Of course, that same image quality can
> be
> had in a Sony Mirrorless camera - all the features
> and controls, but a smaller body - and in some
> cases,
> built in image stablization.
>
> /Mitch
>
> Here's a great site for camera comparisons - Snap
> Sort - click above (Compare Cameras).
> www.snapsort.com
>
>  

I think it's misleading/innaccurate to say to a 'layperson' that Nikon will give a much better image than Canon. All the tech-geeks are aware of Nikon's (Sony sensor) dynamic range advantage over Canon sensors in recent years, but that will only lead to an advantage in very specific circumstances  (basically when there are very low light levels) - hence why the majority of preofessional photographers continue to use Canon cameras.
Obviously canon are closing that gap now in sensor technology anyway. Canon develops its own sensors whereas Nikon relies on someone else...at any given time either of these approaches can be slightly ahead of the opposition.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/16 09:22 by exhaustED.

Date: 10/25/16 13:50
Author: Rathole

If money being tight is a problem, many big box stores like Best Buy offer 6 months or 1 year (for example) same as cash (no interest) deals.  Just be sure to pay it off on time.   

Date: 10/27/16 12:05
Author: jlg759

I just recently got myself a sony mirrorless camera the A7. I must say I am impressed with the photos I am getting. Sony has a great 70-200MM 2.8 lens which I find to be easy to hold and shoot. My new choice for photography will be the mirrorless when using the zoom lens and my Nikon D7000 when using shorter focal length lens's

Joe

Date: 10/28/16 18:00
Author: Dilworth

take a look at pentax dslrs lots of price ranges and older lenses fit new bodies

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0571 seconds