Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Railfan Technology > Color Printer and Scanner Help

Date: 10/25/16 21:35
Color Printer and Scanner Help
Author: plowboy

I hope I am posting this on the correct discussion forum.  I know that many of you scan photos and place them on here. Years ago I took many 35mm color prints of railroads, family, etc. I have most of the negatives and some prints and I am wanting to scan them and convert to electronic files and maybe print some. I am looking for suggestions on decent scanners-color printer combinations that are fairly simple to use and won't break the bank. I am not a professional, just would like decent scans. I also need a photo editing software that doesnt take a degree in computer science to operate.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

RLR

Date: 10/26/16 03:34
Re: Color Printer and Scanner Help
Author: kgmontreal

Very inexpensive scanners do not give good results.  A decent scanner will cost you about $300 and up.  Epson makes some flatbed scanners that give surprisingly good slide and negative scans.  Epson's software is good.  But the best software is VueScan which costs another $100.

I can't offer suggestions about color printers.

KG

Date: 10/26/16 05:16
Author: robj

kgmontreal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very inexpensive scanners do not give good
> results.  A decent scanner will cost you about
> $300 and up.  Epson makes some flatbed scanners
> that give surprisingly good slide and negative
> scans.  Epson's software is good.  But the best
> software is VueScan which costs another $100.
>
> I can't offer suggestions about color printers.
>
> KG

I agree on scanning, I have a Epson but just use the std software,  printers cover a wide range and depending on how many you want, using a prinitng lab might be the best.

Bob

Date: 10/27/16 19:02
Author: plowboy

Thank you for your advice and information. I will look at Epson Scanners. Thanks again

RLR

Date: 10/28/16 18:00
Author: czephyr17

Ditto on the Epson, I have had an Epson V500 flatbed for probably five or six years now and it has done very acceptable work for both slides and photos for my purposes.

Date: 10/29/16 08:47
Author: Auburn_Ed

Also available at $100 is the Wolverine scanner.  Search this forum for info.  It is quite adequate.

Ed

Date: 11/06/16 17:31
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

I have an Epson Perfection 4990 Photo (scanner only) that is about ten years old and keeps on chugging. Recently got an Epson XP-830 copier/scanner/printer/fax to replace my HP DeskJet 4260 which bit the dust. The XP-830 was only $140.

PS: The XP-830 sends the scanned photo to my PC via Wifi with no help or interaction from me. It's magic. I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager to edit photos. I used to use Adobe Photoshop Elements when importing from the 4990 and editing but that takes more thought and if I hadn't scanned for a while I'd spend time staring at the screen trying to remember how I did it last time. The XP-830 makes it easy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/16 17:50 by Lurch_in_ABQ.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0387 seconds