Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Railfan Technology > Cell phone charging via RR tracks.

Date: 01/31/17 20:05
Cell phone charging via RR tracks.
Author: K3HX

In the Jan-Feb 2017 of Popular Science at the bottom of page 86 is a paragraph regarding
a supposed scheme on how to charge one's cell phone from train tracks.

The piece admonishes the reader not to do what is described.

Perhaps the most telling part is the warning at the end that the "most important" reason not to
do this is that it may fry your phone.  No mention of screwing up signalling with the
potential of causing a wreck with  possible loss of life.  Or, getting electrocuted in 3rd
rail territory.

Note also that the icon schematic depicts a circuit that can not work to charge a phone but may
send false signals. 

I am apalled, but not surprised, that the greatly slimmed down and now bi-monthly PS is printing
this type of thing.

Be Well,

Tim Colbert  K3HX

Date: 01/31/17 21:45
Re: Cell phone charging via RR tracks.
Author: wa4umr

There's a Youtube video about the same thing.  It's done in Russia.  My question is WHY?  Why go to the trouble.  Surely it would be easier to find some power somewhere and just use your charger to charge the phone.  I guess you you were doing the hobo thing you might find it handy.

John

Date: 02/01/17 10:22
Author: jst3751

wa4umr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's a Youtube video about the same thing.
>  It's done in Russia.  My question is WHY?  Why
> go to the trouble.  Surely it would be easier to
> find some power somewhere and just use your
> charger to charge the phone.  I guess you you
> were doing the hobo thing you might find it
> handy.
>
> John

Why? Because someone wants to boost his/her ego by being able to boast that they figured it out. That is why.

Remember, Common Sense and Logical are now four letter words in today's society and education.

Date: 02/02/17 08:47
Author: jkh2cpu

jst3751 Wrote:

> Remember, Common Sense and Logical are now four
> letter words in today's society and education.

Only in some dark corners of society. Are you saying
that the darkness is growing?

John.

Date: 02/02/17 09:26
Author: cchan006

wa4umr Wrote:
> There's a Youtube video about the same thing.
>  It's done in Russia.  My question is WHY?  Why
> go to the trouble.  Surely it would be easier to
> find some power somewhere and just use your
> charger to charge the phone.  I guess you you
> were doing the hobo thing you might find it
> handy.
>
> John

There's a better solution - remove the need to look for the charging source to begin with. Turn the device off, not just put it in "power saving" mode.

Step back and look at the massive dependence (addiction) of the Smartphone. I'm sure people have already forgotten but when cell phones were simpler and didn't have all the devious "social media" features, there was no mad scramble to look for a public electric socket to charge the phone. If the phone was low on battery or ran out of charge, people accepted it and life moved on.

I see this as another uselessly clever idea borne out of degenerative social behavior. So disruptive and innovative!

Date: 02/02/17 10:38
Author: TCnR

Cell phones are incredibly powerful display and computing devices, but they are being used for some really silly things. Agree with dumbing down on the Aps and switch off the GPS, wi-fi and data if you don't need them. Although, using GPS and Data hey are very useful for tracking family if there are ones that need to be tracked, otherwise switch off whatever you can. I had a Samsung that would run for four days on the battery, it's been obsoleted by the Phone company for an LG that is rated at four hours. Progress?

Date: 02/03/17 12:32
Author: jst3751

jkh2cpu Wrote:
> jst3751 Wrote:
>
> > Remember, Common Sense and Logical are now four
> > letter words in today's society and education.
>
> Only in some dark corners of society. Are you
> saying
> that the darkness is growing?
>
> John.

It has spread like a cancer.

Date: 02/11/17 06:38
Author: skyview

Way easier to use a simple solar chargers made for hiking.... yes whats the point of such a silly idea.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0552 seconds