Home Open Account Help 260 users online

Railfan Technology > Basic Drone Rules Around Trains

Date: 02/26/17 17:56
Basic Drone Rules Around Trains
Author: eastpenn23

As a new drone pilot, I have some questions regarding flying drones during railfanning. Other than following the FFA and common sense rules (like flying right in front of a train), is there anything else I should be aware of? Is there anything wrong with flying over the tracks at a safe altitude to take photos? Any input or help is appreciated.

Jake B.

Date: 02/27/17 07:53
Re: Basic Drone Rules Around Trains
Author: jkh2cpu

I'd guess this is uncharted territory. As long as you're not
a nuisance and you don't run afoul of someone who had a bad
night with the significant other, you'll probably stay out of
trouble. The railroads may claim that they own the area above
their tracks, and if one of their lawyers likes that notion,
expect trouble in the courts until that notion get settled.

Remember the red-zone: at least 25 feet away from the tracks,
and don't be right overhead where you can loose battery power
and fall on the tracks.

John.

Date: 02/27/17 16:11
Author: SP4360

Probably not a good idea to do pacing shots 3ft from the cab window. :)

Date: 02/27/17 20:20
Author: tinytrains

Also, be carefule around industrial areas. If they think you are spying on (safety or envionmental issues) them they will try and raise a stink with the police. This applies to plain old camera shooting as well.

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

Date: 03/03/17 23:44
Author: chakk

What rules on drones have been promulgated by the Future Farmers of America -- the FFA?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/01/17 11:33
Author: andersonb109

Drones should not be allowed on photo charters. Period. Unless there is a separate runpast to accommodate them (which would take time away from normal runpasts). Associated noise would affect video and there is the risk of crashing into the photo line!

Date: 04/06/17 12:40
Author: Lackawanna484

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Drones should not be allowed on photo charters.
> Period. Unless there is a separate runpast to
> accommodate them (which would take time away from
> normal runpasts). Associated noise would affect
> video and there is the risk of crashing into the
> photo line!

There was a kerfluffle on both coasts 20 years ago as helicopter charters interfered with the photo lines for (paying) customers on steam excursions.

The FAA is more than happy to impose NOTAMs and warnings to pilots around temporary issues.  Sporting events, parades, visits of Chinese presidents, etc.  Maybe they'll do it for special train events, too

Date: 04/07/17 08:21
Author: midwest

I've been on photo charters before with two drones and professional videographers. There were no issues with noise during run-bys or anywhere else. They are suprisingly quiet once they are away from you. Any residual noise from the drone is easily drowned out by the train noise from the run-by (horn, engine, jointed rail, etc).

I have heard of other charters where the drone operators were in the way with their equipment and didn't work with the group. That said, if everyone communicates with each other and works out the logistics out in advance, drones work perfectly well on charters.

Midwest

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0367 seconds