Home Open Account Help 277 users online

Railfan Technology > Decal making and printing software


Date: 03/01/17 18:55
Decal making and printing software
Author: Castle_Romeo

ANYONE here know of a software program for PC's that is specifically tailored to making and printing custom decals for scale trains???

Thanx in advance.



Date: 03/01/17 19:47
Re: Decal making and printing software
Author: BRAtkinson

I would think that any graphics capable program that allows artwork, logos, etc to be drawn, scanned, edited, moved around and placed would do the trick.  While Photoshop would be more than capable, Photoshop Elements would be quite sufficient for the task, in my opinion.  Scaling up/down to fit the final desired size can be accomplished within Photoshop Elements or the printing software.  GIMP is a good image editor too...and it's free! 

The issue is in the printing.  I'd guess there's some supply house(es) that can supply thin-film decal material on paper backing.  The trick is to find a printer that can use non-water soluable, permanent ink that is slightly flexible when set and will stick to the decal film.

One other issue is that of copyright.  I'm not sure, but I think the railroad companies (and other companies too) will fiercely protect their trademarks, logos, and other items that are 'theirs' if you start selling the fruits of your efforts using 'their' images.  Either be prepared to pay them or your attorney(s) as necessary.



Date: 03/01/17 22:55
Re: Decal making and printing software
Author: tinytrains

As long you make them for your self and a few friends, there is no problem with copyright. Do not sell.

The problem with printing decals is color printers do not print white. A good color laser will usually print on clear decal film, but it may have problems fusing the toner on the heavier film. Water-proof photo printers work well.
But the lack of white is still a problem. A friend of mime printed inverse images; clear lettering in a box the color of the car, and put it over a white spot. With a little weathering that works.

There was a printer years ago called an ALPS that printed color, but they are anchent technology today.

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/17 22:55 by tinytrains.



Date: 03/03/17 19:05
Re: Decal making and printing software
Author: Castle_Romeo

It's the scaling that scares me......to create something on a computer is one thing but having it print to the correct scale is another.....

I'll have to try GIMP.



Date: 03/05/17 18:52
Re: Decal making and printing software
Author: tinytrains

Just print on plain paper until you get the size right.

Have fun.

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website



Date: 03/05/17 18:57
Re: Decal making and printing software
Author: Castle_Romeo

tinytrains Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just print on plain paper until you get the size
> right.
>
> Have fun.

I'll have to try that.....

Thanx again.



Date: 03/18/17 14:03
Re: Decal making and printing software
Author: emd_mrs1

Okidata now makes a printer which does white. Works like a laser printer. Its about 600 to 800 depending on which model you want.
Michael

tinytrains Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As long you make them for your self and a few
> friends, there is no problem with copyright. Do
> not sell.
>
> The problem with printing decals is color printers
> do not print white. A good color laser will
> usually print on clear decal film, but it may have
> problems fusing the toner on the heavier film.
> Water-proof photo printers work well.
> But the lack of white is still a problem. A friend
> of mime printed inverse images; clear lettering in
> a box the color of the car, and put it over a
> white spot. With a little weathering that works.
>
> There was a printer years ago called an ALPS that
> printed color, but they are anchent technology
> today.



Date: 03/19/17 08:05
Re: Decal making and printing software
Author: jridge

emd_mrs1-
Which Okidata models are they?
Jeff

emd_mrs1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okidata now makes a printer which does white.
> Works like a laser printer. Its about 600 to 800
> depending on which model you want.
> Michael
>
 



Date: 03/19/17 11:22
Re: Decal making and printing software
Author: grahamline

Inkscape is another free graphics program



Date: 04/09/17 18:42
Re: Decal making and printing software
Author: emd_mrs1

There are two of them. here is one... http://www.okidata.com/procolor/711wt

jridge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> emd_mrs1-
> Which Okidata models are they?
> Jeff
>
> emd_mrs1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Okidata now makes a printer which does white.
> > Works like a laser printer. Its about 600 to
> 800
> > depending on which model you want.
> > Michael
> >
>  



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0671 seconds