Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Railfan Technology > Another external speaker question

Date: 04/12/17 09:25
Another external speaker question
Author: Valleyman

I have a new vehicle that is blue tooth equipped. I currently listen to railroadradio streams on it. Is there a way to connect external speakers on one of the USB connections the vehicle has. If so any recommendations on the speaker to use?

Valleyman

Date: 04/13/17 05:52
Re: Another external speaker question
Author: CPAlburtis

Seems counterintuitive. Why not just purchase a wireless Bluetooth speaker? Not dependant on cable length and you can use it when you're away from the car.
Prices to fit every budget and readily available at just about any checkout aisle.

Date: 04/13/17 10:03
Author: fbe

Fry's Electronics has a wide assortment of USB and Bluetooth external speakers. What they do not have are any monaural 3.5 mm speakers. Try your local larger truck stop for those.

Date: 04/13/17 14:58

I'll go with the Bluetooth option. It's nice to have an external speaker when your out rail fanning with a group. Now the next hurdle to over come, is most New vehicles keyless ignition systems do not allow the vehicle to operate on the accessory mode for more than 10-15 minutes before shutting off. Been a number of occasions the past month while waiting in the vehicle while my wife was shopping, for the power to shut the radio just when something interesting was being said. Any workarounds on this?

Valleyman

Date: 04/13/17 18:45

So which railroad scanner do you own with a Bluetooth or USB audio output?

Date: 04/13/17 18:58

I'm listen to Railroadradio streams through my vehicles built in Bluetooth. I also have a BC 760 XLT scanner for areas I cannot live stream through my IPhone. Both work great while listening within the vehicle. But when sitting outside the vehicle it's nice having the ability to pick up conversations on either device. My scanner is used in an older vehicle that still uses a key for the ignition. In that vehicle I can leave the scanner on for hours while sitting. My new vehicle is keyless, therefore it automatically shuts of every thing after 10-15 minutes unless the vehicle is running.

Valleyman

Date: 04/13/17 20:06
Author: WW

The main way that two-way radio techs eliminate the ignition "power-off" problem is to power the radio with a cable connected directly to the battery (with an in-line fuse, of course, to protect the radio).  Another advantage is that can also eliminate or at least reduce some of the electrical "noise" that can be introduced into the radio from being connected through the ignition/electrical system.  The mobile radios that I use are all wired that way.  Many amateur and commercial mobile radios also have a programmable automatic-power-off (APO) feature that will shut the radio off after a prescribed amount of time with no keys being pressed, etc.    Unfortunately, not all radio models have the APO feature, so draining the battery if the radio is inadvertently left on is a possibility with those.  The good news is that most of the newer mobile radios use very little current when not receiving (or transmitting).  I've seen them left on for 3 days without killing a healthy car battery.

Date: 04/13/17 21:04

I just bought a 2016 GMC Terrain with 4 external power sources, 3 are in the console area and are all turned off with the ignition. The 4 is at the rear of the cargo area and is 100% on. Is there any way to wire the power outlet in front of the shifter so it is always powered up like the cargo area outlet or is that going to take a mechanic?

Thanks.

Date: 04/15/17 22:36
Re: Another external speaker question - power access
Author: Rick2582

I have a Subaru with the same power setup.  All accessible power outlets up front go dead with the ignition off, only the back hatch area socket stays live.  Whoever thot this was a good idea ?!

I use the direct wires to battery terminals with inline fuse, as WW has suggested above.  No noise, filters out power spikes and racket, always works perfectly.  Just watch out the mechanic doesn't disconnect the wires when he/she works on the car.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1192 seconds