Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Railfan Technology > Track Builder 3.5 and Norton AntiVirus

Date: 04/29/17 16:22
Track Builder 3.5 and Norton AntiVirus
Author: Graybeard1942

I recently purchased a replacement copy of Track Builder 3.5 (Softrail Inc.) for creating/updating ATCSMon layouts. I have the valid key and serial number.

When attempting to install, my North Anti-Virus software goes into full attack mode and deletes the download from my hard drive, claiming Track Builder 3.5 is 'BAD' software and has many malicious problems

I am not willing to override Norton at this time without some external input/feedback. Thanks in advance.

Date: 04/29/17 17:17
Re: Track Builder 3.5 and Norton AntiVirus
Author: sptno

When I had Norton I had the same issues with radio programming software for my ham radio equipment.

Got tired of fighting Norton, uninstalled and went to Kaspersky, never looked back, never had any issues, plus the computer seemed to run faster.

That was about 5 years ago.

Good luck with this issue.

Pat
WA5VRO
Austin, TX

Date: 04/29/17 23:58
Author: Graybeard1942

I went to the owner/creator of the software and he has had no problem. I'm just going to bypass Norton and reload. People are reselling copies of this software on EBay and I suspect those may be contaminated. But what the heck...India tells me every week that my computer is screwed. You can't win. Thanks for the response.

ron k6kyj (since 1955)

Date: 04/30/17 17:25
Author: sptno

Yep, I keep getting calls from India telling me that my Microsoft computer sent out a message that there were problems.
If/when I answer I tell them I don't have no stinking computer as I am 91 years old or that I have a Mac.
They insist that I have a computer and that it contacted them.
Then I hang up.
One time the lady said, 'so you don't have a computer and then hung up'.
Sometimes it's hard to screen calls from these folks.

Pat

Date: 05/03/17 11:09
Author: jkurt

I saw this message the other day but didn't comment on it yet. One thing to keep in mind is that some anti-viruses like to think when you install a program its a virus. Note I would not recommend this if you download from the internet to disable your virus program but if you are using a CD or DVD that you know is good and the virus scanner thinks its a bad program it may not hurt to disable the antivirus software while you are installing the program and enable it when the installation is done. This does 2 things. 1. It gets rid of that error message and 2. virus programs can corrupt the installation. I know I had to disable my virus program for installing Microsoft Flight Simulator. Virus scanners didn't play nice with Microsoft games. I also had Vipre which is a very good anti-virus but one thing that was strange was that it didn't like the installation of Malware Bytes. It kept saying it was a virus for some reason or another. Hope this helps.

Kurt.

Date: 05/04/17 09:01
Author: jst3751

Speaking from years of direct experiance in the IT Industry, I have 2 rules for AV software:

1) Friends don't let friends use McCrappy
2) Do not touch software from Symantec with a 10 foot pole.

Many people probably never heard the story of how the CEO of Symantec a number of years ago FINALLY bowed down to industry pressure and admitted publicly that their software was bloated with adware and phone-home technology. Security software bloated with adware? I will never use any software from Symantec. In fact, Symantec bought out the second most trusted and loved anti-spyware software on the market, then squashed it and killed it. Anybody remember Spyware Doctor?

Date: 05/16/17 14:09
Author: RailRat

It's a shame they are allowed to sell Crappy anti-virus software that bogs down your computer and adds unwanted ad-ware, etc...I've used Eset nod 32 anti-virus for 5 years with little problems. But it is a annual paid program, which are better than "free" ones. Yes many software programs require that the Anti-virus be turned off/dis-abled during installation. I simply unplug from the Internet (on desktop PC) during such operations. Then set anti-virus to be enabled after re-start,and re-connect to internet, Plus the newly installed software may need internet access anyway, to verify install.

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0399 seconds