Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Railfan Technology > FAA Drone Registration?

Date: 05/19/17 14:28
FAA Drone Registration?
Author: RyanWilkerson

Just saw this...any drone pilots have comments?
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/drone-pilots-dont-have-to-register-under-faas-controversial-rule-court-rules-2017-05-19

"
The court struck down the FAA’s registration rule, referencing the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act, which was passed by Congress and signed by President Barack Obama. That rule stated that the FAA “may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft.”
"

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 05/20/17 13:23
Re: FAA Drone Registration?
Author: F40PHR231

Good. I had police banging on my door past 9 pm demanding my drone pilot registration number after another department spotted me flying 35' in the air at night 50 miles away earlier that week. They incorrectly believed I was not permitted to fly at night (part 107 night flying restrictions don't apply to hobbyists), and went on this huge overreach. Thankfully the FAA set them straight, and my state representative was concerned enough to trigger officer retraining.

I understand the intent of drone pilot licensing, but all it entailed was registering your name, address, and a payment. No actual training is involved, and registration does nothing to address actual reckless drone operations. If hobby drone licenses are to be required, then what's to stop USDOT from requiring registration, insurance and licensing for 9 year-olds who want to steer a remote-controlled toy car on a dead-end street?

Date: 05/21/17 05:42
Re: FAA Drone Registration?
Author: jkh2cpu

F40PHR231 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
. If hobby drone
> licenses are to be required, then what's to stop
> USDOT from requiring registration, insurance and
> licensing for 9 year-olds who want to steer a
> remote-controlled toy car on a dead-end street?

I know it's hard to believe, but common sense does
exist in government, and it's unlikely that the
nine year-old is going to be in trouble.

Rest easy.

John.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0322 seconds