Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Railfan Technology > Upcoming solar eclipse

Date: 07/19/17 02:08
Upcoming solar eclipse
Author: JDRumley

Anyone here planing on photographing the eclipse next month? I purchased a 77mm 16.5 stop ND soar eclipse filter for my 70-300. I later decided to go with the 200-500 which requires a 95mm filter. The 77mm Marumi filter is now surplus, along with a 67-77mm step up ring. If anyone is interested pm me and I will give you the details.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/17 08:43 by JDRumley.

Date: 07/19/17 06:26
Re: Upcoming solar eclipse
Author: NormSchultze

You need an eclipse filter. ND filters MAY not stop IR and UV which is damaging. Take a look at the recent blog on the subject at www.lensrentals.com. There's good advice there from real photo/lens nerds. FWIW, B&H has eclipse glasses and filters. Be careful out there !

Date: 07/19/17 08:24

That's what this is, en eclipse filter.

Date: 07/19/17 10:20
Author: NormSchultze

Right. My bad, I read your description incorrectly.

Date: 07/19/17 11:28

Actually, I corrected my description. It wasn't quite complete. Thanks for pointing it out.
Here are a couple of test shots. .It should be obvious what the subject is. Both shot with a Nikon 16-85 f5.6 at 1/6 second.

Date: 07/20/17 07:39
Author: jkh2cpu

JDRumley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually, I corrected my description. It wasn't
> quite complete. Thanks for pointing it out.
> Here are a couple of test shots. .It should be
> obvious what the subject is. Both shot with a
> Nikon 16-85 f5.6 at 1/6 second.

I can tell it's not Saturn...

John.

Date: 07/21/17 05:29
Author: mojaveflyer

If you're looking for an 'Eclipse Filter' try: www.thousandoaksoptical.com I purchased a couple of them from these guys with good quality and prompt service. I hear supplies are running short and you may not be able to get one in time... Good luck!

This may be helpful as well: http://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/a/tips-and-techniques/how-to-photograph-a-solar-eclipse.html I'm sure these techniques will work with Canon or what ever you're using. Get a filter soon and start practicing soon so you're ready!

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 07/22/17 07:38
Author: WrongMain

JDRumley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually, I corrected my description. It wasn't
> quite complete. Thanks for pointing it out.
> Here are a couple of test shots. .It should be
> obvious what the subject is. Both shot with a
> Nikon 16-85 f5.6 at 1/6 second.

So, whose intestines are those?

Date: 07/22/17 11:51
Author: wa4umr

There was something on our local news yesterday about "Eclipse glasses." Seems there are only 5 manufactures that make glasses suitable for looking at the eclipse. Others are making the equivalent of neutral density filters. That is, filters without UV protection. The only ones you should use should be labeled with ISO 12312-2.

Same for filters for your camera. There are several places selling solar filters that will filter the UV down to a safe level.

John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0396 seconds