Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Railfan Technology > Automobile GPS with RR tracks ?

Date: 09/03/17 14:58
Automobile GPS with RR tracks ?
Author: joemvcnj

Do any Garmin, TomTom, or any other maker, have North American maps that explicitly show RR tracks ? My Garmin Nuvi 1490 does not.

Date: 09/03/17 17:08
Re: Automobile GPS with RR tracks ?
Author: JayK

My Tom Tom has railroads mapped. Their data base must be old since it shows abandoned lines,
even with regular updates.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/03/17 21:15
Author: howeld

If you have a smart phone then Waze app is a handy GPS that shows most railroads.
My Garmin Nuvi (don't know what model) shows railroads at certain zoom levels.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/03/17 21:31
Author: mrsaxtonsr

Most depend on the level of resolution you specify. If you go in fine enough, they can very well show R.R. tracks and even abandoned rights of way, but it depends on the manufacturer and the make and model

Date: 09/04/17 00:28
Author: F40PHR231

howeld Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you have a smart phone then Waze app is a handy
> GPS that shows most railroads.

I like Maps.me app on Android. It lets you download an entire state for offline use, so you're not depending on cell reception like Google Maps does. Maps.me also includes mileposts along the rail lines (not all of them), such as Dotsero and others on the DRGW.

Date: 09/04/17 04:37
Author: rfprr1

My Garmin NUVI 57LM shows rr tracks.

rfprr

Date: 09/04/17 05:31
Author: ycsfsoya

I have Garmin's 1490, 1690 and a 2689 and all show railroad tracks. Adjust your detail settings to max and whenever you are zoomed in to a certain level you will see the tracks.

Johnny G
KD4JSF

Johnny Green
Hustonville, KY

Date: 09/04/17 14:52
Author: joemvcnj

Your're right about zooming in all way on the Nuvi. One notch back from max zoom - no tracks.

Date: 09/05/17 08:17
Author: TCnR

The Tom-Tom GPS shows the current and many historic right of ways as part of it's typical resolution, not adjustments.

I've heard about people using them from the train to observe the map as they travel. Not sure how that works out.

Date: 09/05/17 08:31
Author: L231

The best map app I have found is "Pocket Earth". Very useful for railroad tracks and no cell coverage areas.

The FRA rail crossing locator app is also useful.

Date: 09/05/17 13:46
Author: dbrcnw

At the risk of being repetitive. it does indeed depend upon the zoom level. My Garmin(s) do just fine showing RR tracks until they reach a certain "zoom out" point. Just adjust the detail scale and you'll find the maximum level where the tracks still appear. When driving just set the unit not to go beyond that level.

DaleR

Date: 09/06/17 16:22
Author: chakk

My Tom-Tom shows rr tracks, but will always put its marker on a nearby road, if there is one within 30 feet of the rr track on which I am REALLY traveling.

Date: 09/11/17 13:30
Author: NormSchultze

Anyone using Magellan ? What does that display look like ? I have Tom Tom as a blt in in my car and Garmin as a portable for fly-drives. The Tom Tom Display is better than Garmin, but I have no clue about Magellan.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.034 seconds