Home Open Account Help 390 users online

Railfan Technology > Dead Nikon D80 battery help

Date: 09/23/17 11:17
Dead Nikon D80 battery help
Author: seod

I sent my Nikon D7100 in for repair and adjustment yesterday and I got out my old D80. I went to charge the batteries and 1 of them took a charge very well and the other was very dead. When I put it in the charger the light would flash 3 times then go out. the charger would not charge it. I tried to charge it in my Maha charger and I let it go for a few days and all it did was put 5 milli amps into it. I have read a bit about Li-po batteries and it seems that they might not be able to be rescued.

Does anybody know if you can rescue a dead Li-po that has been in storage for about 3+ years?. I will not be buying another battery as 1 works and the D7100 should be back in a little bit hopefully less than a month.

Scott O'Dell

Date: 09/24/17 06:18
Re: Dead Nikon D80 battery help
Author: 1939dutchman

You could try searching YouTube for a way to charge it. There seems to always be someone with a fix for these problems.

Date: 09/24/17 10:33
Author: atsf616

I have also experienced a suddenly-dead EN-EL3e. Curious to hear if anyone has a solution.

Date: 09/24/17 12:50
Author: exhaustED

atsf616 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have also experienced a suddenly-dead EN-EL3e.
> Curious to hear if anyone has a solution.

Get a Canon! Apologies...

Date: 09/24/17 13:02
Author: jkh2cpu

exhaustED Wrote:
> atsf616 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have also experienced a suddenly-dead
> EN-EL3e.
> > Curious to hear if anyone has a solution.
>
> Get a Canon! Apologies...

... Or just keep your batteries charged. The
D80 has to be about 10 years ago.

John.

Date: 09/24/17 17:19
Author: radar

Battery packs can be rebuilt, and the result is like new. Retail stores like Batteries Plus Bulbs can do it. I don't know whether it saves money over buying a new pack, but it is worth exploring.

Date: 09/24/17 21:29
Author: SN711

I just traded in my D90 a couple months ago, but I already gave away my spare battery. If I still had it, I would have offered to send it to you. Having two batteries is always better, even if it wont get much use.

Gary

Date: 09/24/17 22:42
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

Last week, the six-year-old Delco Group 90 in my Chevy expired almost exactly at six years after installation. It was the third battery in the car since new.

That Delco had replaced a Delco that failed in about seven months after installation.

The seven-months-to-failure Delco had replaced a five-year-old OEM Delco that had experienced no problems but was replaced proactively to avoid a late-term failure at an inconvenient time.

Go figure.

Batteries, you can't live with them and you can't live without them.

Date: 09/25/17 14:03
Author: atsf616

jkh2cpu Wrote:
> ... Or just keep your batteries charged. The
> D80 has to be about 10 years ago.

Yes, but still functional and suitable as a "beater" camera to keep in the car. Battery-life indicator still showed "new" condition, and I have a pool of them that I rotate regularly between D80, D200 and D300S.

Date: 09/26/17 19:12
Author: fbe

The Utube solution for power tool lithium batteries is to take a battery which works and run jumper wires from + to + and - to - between the working battery and non functioning battery. You only need to leave the jumper connections for 30-45 SECONDS.

This operation establishes a reference voltage on the weak battery so the charger will recognize it as a functioning battery and try to charge it.

I have had 50% success with this method on a cordless power drill. You do this at your own risk and I never let these batteries out of my sight during the jumper or charge operations.

Date: 09/28/17 06:27
Author: mojaveflyer

You can find replacement batteries on Amazon for $50 - 70 for a brand name battery or a fraction of that for a 'knock off' brand battery. I've had reasonably good results using the off brand battery in my Canon bodies...

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0505 seconds