Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Railfan Technology > Digital projectors

Date: 11/11/17 14:37
Digital projectors
Author: Rathole

Anyone have a recommendation of a good, yet affordable (say in the 300 to 500 dollar range) digital projector? While looking at photos on the desktop computer is ok, I'm looking for a good digital projector to use in a home setting for a group of people to see projected images just like I use my Kodak Ektagraphic projectors for slide shows.

Date: 11/14/17 03:10
Re: Digital projectors
Author: kgmontreal

I'm surprised that you got no responses to your enquiry. I did not reply because my information is out of date. I've had a digital projector for about a decade. At the time I got it I did a great deal of research, most of which I've forgotten. But I can tell you that unless the price has come down substantially you won't get a good a machine for what you want to spend. You certainly won't get anything that will match the quality of a slide in an Ektagraphic projector nor the sharpness you see on your computer screen.

Many digital projectors are intended for home theatre use and while they produce a good moving picture image, their still images are quite coarse. We use mine at the model rr club for movie nights when we show old Hollywood films with railway related content. No one complains about the quality. But when I do a clinic night with still images the members don't complain either but I can see the difference.

The community photo club bought one for their meeting nights. In order to get sufficent image quality I think they paid $2500 for theirs.

At the time I bought mine the projector was about $800 I think. If it dies I probably won't replace it. I live in fear of the bulb burning out. A replacement bulb would cost about as much as an entire machine.

I'll try to remember more.

Ken Goslett

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/17 03:19 by kgmontreal.

Date: 11/14/17 09:08
Author: BRAtkinson

About a year ago, I was contemplating buying a specific 'electronic shooting range' program that required a video projector capable of 1280x720 resolution and at least 2000 lumens bright. After checking out a number of projectors in the $200-400 range, both new and used, I found that most of them did not have sufficient resolution or bright enough (the program 'sees' laser 'hits' on the screen with a USB camera) and figured I'd have to save up a bit longer. Then I also did a check of the specs on my laptop computer. It's highest resolution was lackingt and it didn't have a sufficiently fast dual processor. That's one of the 'gotchas' of having an older laptop.

I still have the same laptop. It does everything else I want without problem. I guess I could hook up the projector to my tower computer which far exceeds the shooting range program, but running a long video cable isn't an option, nor is unplugging and relocating my tower computer.

Date: 11/14/17 10:13
Author: fbe

The bulb being used needs to be researched for price and expected life. These can vary widely and affect long term expenses.

Date: 11/14/17 12:16

Thanks for the info all. I've not shopped around yet as I was hoping to get some input from experienced users. I had thought perhaps they were like most all consumer devices in that prices fall significantly after introduction of a new product, but apparently not in this case. Looks like I will have to part with more $$$ than I anticipated.

Date: 11/14/17 16:21

Yes - very aware of that. I've been projecting slides onto high quality screens since 1973. But I do appreciate your input!

F40PHR231 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also consider what surface you will be projecting
> on. High quality projector screens are just as
> important as the projector itself, as they reflect
> light and color better than a wall with dull
> off-white paint or bed sheets hung from the
> ceiling, etc.

Date: 11/28/17 00:25
Author: dcautley

At work, projectors have been entirely replaced by large flat panel TVs... in conference rooms.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/28/17 20:01

I recently had some experience with that at a slide show I did. I scanned the slides, downloaded them to a flash drive, and via a laptop computer they were shown on a big HD television in a conference room. I thought they looked just fine. Maybe that's the way to go. 50 and 60" televisions are quite affordable now, even to the point of justifiably buying a second one just for the downstairs "projection room."

dcautley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At work, projectors have been entirely replaced by
> large flat panel TVs... in conference rooms.
>
> Posted from Android

Date: 11/29/17 11:49
Author: trainboy03

I second the big-screen TV. You can run an HDMI cable right from your computer/laptop to the TV for image and sound. Works great for smaller slideshow crowds.

Erik

Date: 12/06/17 17:29
Author: trkinsptr

If the projector outfits don't start lowering their prices for high quality projectors they will go out of business!I saw a 55" OLED TV in Costco for $1,600 !

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0438 seconds