Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Railfan Technology > Convert VHS tape to DVD-R disk ?

Date: 11/26/17 07:48
Convert VHS tape to DVD-R disk ?
Author: joemvcnj

I want to buy one of these: Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus - Windows
What file extension would be the result from the VHS tape be when first loaded onto the C drive ?

My PC can burn DVD's, but will only recognize file extension of vob, ifo, or bup

Date: 11/26/17 08:03
Re: Convert VHS tape to DVD-R disk ?
Author: norm1153

Probably .avi

Those other files are system files, including one disk image file - .iso

Date: 11/26/17 14:56
Author: BRAtkinson

Unless you have a mountain of VHS tapes, it may be less costly in the long run to find some local company that can do the conversion.

Some years back, I started converting cassette tapes to CDs and discovered the downside...time! I had to listen to the entire tape, then edit it into individual 'cuts', THEN burn the CD. About an hour or so per tape was required! Unfortunately, playing the tape in 'high speed mode' and slowing it down on my computer was not an option.

Date: 11/26/17 19:59
Author: cchan006

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I want to buy one of these: Roxio Easy VHS to DVD
> 3 Plus - Windows
> What file extension would be the result from the
> VHS tape be when first loaded onto the C drive ?
>
> My PC can burn DVD's, but will only recognize file
> extension of vob, ifo, or bup

VOB file is usually similar to MPG. It's trickier than that beneath the surface, as MPG files can be encoded in MPEG-1 or MPEG-2. In most cases, VOB file should be encoded in better quality MPEG-2, but I do have a commercial DVD encoded in the older MPEG-1. VOB, IFO, or BUP file is what actually ends up on the DVD itself. In essence, those files are already data compressed, unsuitable for editing.

There are number of "intermediate" file formats when you bring in video into your computer, whether via analog to digital (from VHS) or from your camera or camcorder. AVI is one of many intermediate formats. There are other formats that are specific to the editing/conversion software you are using.

When you copy video files from camcorders, especially modern ones based on H.264 compression (MP4, in particular), the editing software will often convert/decompress that to an intermediate format first, and that happens when the software "reprocesses" your video clip, which both Windows MovieMaker and Mac's iMovie do.

So it's a minimum of two step process to convert your analog video (VHS) into DVD. VHS -> digital format -> DVD. Most software doing the conversion (Roxio) will generate VOB files (automatically, or via user intervention) so you shouldn't have to worry about what ends up on your storage device (C: drive or whatever). For equipments/tools that seem to do the conversion "directly," the VHS -> digital format conversion is being performed "beneath the surface" but it still MUST occur.

Anyway, this is just scratching the surface, and I'm not qualified to explain the process in more detail.

Date: 12/01/17 18:10
Author: tmurray

VOB. Tried something like this a while back, ended up with a Samsung DVD-VR-357 (VCR/DVD-R) It converts unattended, and is easy to use.

One note: VLC will open and play .VOB files.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/17 18:10 by tmurray.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0372 seconds