Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Railfan Technology > Kodachrome from June 1941

Date: 01/13/18 07:09
Kodachrome from June 1941
Author: DocJohn

I will post more details about this slide later once I can get back to my home office with a good slide scanner. Slide was scanned on an Epson ET-4750. From the other slides along with it, it was taken at New York Central's Niagara Falls, NY, station. Gentleman in the suit is my Dad. I am not sure why TO software flipped the picture. Any thoughts on what I need to do when I get back to home office in terms of getting dust off slide, etc.

Thank you,

John

Date: 01/13/18 10:09
Re: Kodachrome from June 1941

Here is image cropped out of slide frame and given some color adjustment. Can anyone confirm location?

John

Date: 01/14/18 22:19
Re: Kodachrome from June 1941
Author: MartyBernard

If you have hundreds of slides to scan, get a good slide scanner and run it with VueScan Software. If you have only a few to scan find a good camera store to have them scanned or Google "Slide Scanning Service". To clean slides try Amazon "slide cleaning".

Marty Bernard

Date: 01/20/18 21:45
Re: Kodachrome from June 1941 epson v500

Same slide as before, but scanned with Epson V500 photo. I still need to get the slide cleaning supplies.

Can anyone identify location? I suspect it was taken at New York Central's Niagara Falls, NY, station.

John

Date: 01/20/18 22:44

The scanner's software should have cleaned all or most that dirt off the slide. Did you run the scanner with the software in the default mode or did you make the adjustments to clean the dust/specks off the slide?

All the dirt on the scan could also be removed with even a basic photo-editor. I used the cloning tool and the smudge tool and cleaned the upper left of the photo as an example, see below. Removing the dirt on the people would require careful use of the speck remover tool. A little sharpening and maybe darkening the older gentleman's face/hair a little and it would be a pretty decent photo.

Hope this helps.

Marty Bernard

Date: 01/21/18 06:18

Thank you for your help, Marty. Scan done with Epson V500 with ICE turned on. Software version is 3.7.7.3. I do not know what I am doing. Main objective was to get slide scanned in case anything happened to it.

John

Date: 01/21/18 13:46

I've worked some more on the copy I started to work on yesterday. At least you have a somewhat decent version of the slide.

Marty

Date: 01/22/18 13:23
Author: RRBadTrack

Wonder if that is Sour Diesel in that pipe?

Date: 01/22/18 13:47

I suspect the pipe tobacco was Edgeworth. Edgeworth is now a product of STG Lane in Stone Mountain, GA.

john

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0343 seconds