Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Railfan Technology > Xtra PC

Date: 03/28/18 22:50
Xtra PC
Author: mundo

Any one have expiernce with Xtra PC and its program to speed up and fix computers ?

Date: 03/29/18 09:06
Re: Xtra PC
Author: colehour

A quick online search suggests that this is basically a distribution of Linux on a usb drive. Distributions are available free online, but there are also distributions that are for sale, like this one.

I installed Linux Mint on an old notebook that was running XP, and it seems to work OK, but I have not spent enough time with Linux to say much more than that.

You might want to check out some of the comments/reviews online.

Date: 04/25/18 10:08
Author: SP4360

Date: 04/30/18 20:26
Author: cchan006

SP4360 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Found this mundo
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Xtra-PC-Turn-outdated-like-
> new-128GB/product-reviews/B01NBVT7GL

Read the review by "Carl Sheran." He summarizes the functionality of the Xtra PC pretty well.

While having Linux hijack your PC might make it seem to run faster, the problem with modern computing is far bigger than Linux, Windows, Mac, or any operating system. Bandwidth is wasted everywhere, your network, your CPU, your memory, whenever you are connected to the Internet. That's what happens when advertising becomes the primary motive for computing (and insane valuation of tech companies as a result). You have to use additional resources to fight it (ad blocker, privacy "add-ons," and your brain).

I figure I'd mention this now, so in the future, people (at least readers of the Railfan Technology discussions) will be skeptical right away when they hear something that's too good to be true.

Xtra PC is basically a "benevolent" way to bait people to use Linux. Not a "scam" if you do your research first, and not a "malware" as some people have shouted elsewhere. It's a "lighter" version of Unix ("Lubuntu") which has a smaller memory footprint than the full distribution, like Ubuntu. Many TO members have tried to persuade people to give Linux a try, and the best way to do that is to install a full distribution.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0411 seconds