Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Railfan Technology > Uniden BCD436HP

Date: 03/30/18 00:14
Uniden BCD436HP
Author: NPRY1960

well, I purchased a new scanner, the uniden 436 and I nowregret not getting a graduate degree in electrical engineering. I have been diligently reading the "owners manual", but wind up with more questions then answers. Maybe some body on this forum can help me, two very basic questions: how do you get the scan rate set lower, its way too fast for these 2 old eyes. secondly, how does one get the back lite to stay on for an extended period of time? any help will be appreciated.
there are quite a few videos on youtube, but have not been able to find answers for my two questions. HELP!

Mike in Puyallup WA

Date: 03/30/18 06:43
Re: Uniden BCD436HP
Author: dhb

This is probably a better place to get your questions answered;
http://forums.radioreference.com/

Date: 03/30/18 07:32
Author: TCnR

dhb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is probably a better place to get your
> questions answered;
> http://forums.radioreference.com/

Thanks for the link.
Is this radio tangled up in the NXDN question? Will it be NXDN programmable?
Curious how it compares with the Bearcat125.

Another reference:
https://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden_Bearcat_BCD436HP_Police_Scanner_p/10-501853.htm

Date: 03/30/18 11:00
Author: bkr

This link might be helpful.

http://new.marksscanners.com/536/436_536.shtml

Brian

Date: 03/30/18 14:35

Does dmr but not nxdm.

Date: 03/30/18 15:12
Author: RHicks

dhb Wrote:
> Does dmr but not nxdm.

If your referring to the BCD436HP you need to read the Uniden forum on RR.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/18 17:44 by RHicks.

Date: 03/30/18 16:33
Author: jkurt

RHicks Wrote:
> dhb Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Does dmr but not nxdm.
>
> If your referring to the BCD436HP you need to
> reread again.

I read this too and didn't see anything about it supporting NXDN at all. Does Edacs support NXDN then? I know if it says Idas or NXDN it would support it.

Date: 03/30/18 17:20
Author: RHicks

The firmware for BCD436HP was released on Mar 26 here it is from Uniden

CD436HP Firmware Update History
1.14.00 Release Notes (03/26/2018)

Support NXDN Trunking, NXDN One-Frequency Trunking, and Icom IDAS Trunking Upgrade
Allows the selection of RAN and Area in conventional programming.
Supports Motorola and Harris P25 Patch ID
Supports Extended Addressing EDACS Patch IDs
Improved simplex DMR reception with auto threshold
Adds support for NXDN to Analyze and LCN Finder functions
Improves P25 Phase 2 Encryption Muting
Corrected an issue where the anaylze function could cause the scanner to reboot
Added ENC and NAC display for conventional and search modes
Corrected an issue where selecting "Stop All Avoiding" did not remove avoid from all items.

Date: 03/31/18 14:04
Author: WW

Fairly likely that the scan speed and backlight delay are either hardware-defined or set in the firmware--probably not user adjustable.

Now, as to the bigger question: Why this scanner? If one wants the "Swiss Army Knife" type of scanner for all kinds of things beyond railfanning, then the BCD36HP--with the NXDN firmware upgrade--might make sense, but the radio will carry all of the compromises (and there are many) of having a wide-band receiver. For railfanning, though, there are a slew of analog radios that will perform as well or better, for probably a third of the price (though not perfect, the Uniden BC-125AT is a good example). If one wants to be on the curve with NXDN capability, well, I just bought a new high quality NXDN commercial portable with charger and antenna for about $25 more than the $399 Amazon price for the BCD436HP. Without doubt, it will outperform the BCD436HP and likely last a lot longer.

Date: 04/01/18 06:45

What did you buy and how do you program it?

Thanks, Don

Date: 04/25/18 07:49
Author: DMC

I have both and for listening to railroads I prefer the BC125. To me the 436 is for gadgeteers and the 125 is for listeners.

Date: 04/29/18 09:48
Author: SSW41

Yes that's a lot of scanner for listening to trains. After 2 years they have worked most of the bugs out. It's a great scanner but very complicated.

The marksscanner.com site is great for getting the info you need. I don't see a scan rate on mine but that doesn't mean it's not there. As for the light, once the scanner is on, quick push the power button.

You will probably need to go into the settings to adjust the timer. Push the menu button on the left side of the scanner. Turn the knob until you find display options. Push the knob and it will show set backlight. Then set mode. I set mine for Squelch:Open Squelch Keypress:Off Timeout:Infinite Once you do all that push the Menu button to back out to the scan screen. When it's set like that, the screen will light up when you receive a transmission. When you quick push the power button, the light will stay on until you push the power button again or the batteries die. Which will happen quickly.

Date: 04/29/18 19:38
Author: MP683

Since the post was brought back from
The dead...

The Uniden x36HP series of scanners is geared (believe it or not) for those who want to plug and play for scanning.

Using the Uniden software, it will download all data from www.radioreference.com - which includes (in most regions) fairly up to date railroad listings and their use.

But on top of that, it allows scanning of modern day trunking systems used by government and industry (APCO25, DMR, NXDN, EDACS/ProVoice) etc.

GPS additions will allow you to take it anywhere and it will update the scanned database for the area you are in.

I use the mobile version with my non-rr employer and find using a proper antenna, it does just fine for VHF reception.

Any portable scanner such as the 436, you will always be compromised for the antenna and reception (unless using a quaility external antenna, cable and adaptor).

The new SDS1000 that will be out shortly that I have played with is completely reengineered for hardware and has awesome reception in a portable scanner - but it’s going to cost you.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.071 seconds