Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Railfan Technology > Problem with Outlook Mail freezing up

Date: 05/03/18 07:27
Problem with Outlook Mail freezing up
Author: refarkas

When I try to use Outlook Mail on my iMac, I get a Lending Tree ad in the upper right corner, and my Outlook Mail freezes up. I can't access it or send photos. Is anyone else having this problem? Only the Lending Tree ad causes this.
Bob

Date: 05/03/18 08:35
Re: Problem with Outlook Mail freezing up
Author: BRAtkinson

Being a Windows person, I can't directly address your problem...but...

One of the interesting things about the web these days is the apparent 'ability' to 'pick up' on the sites you visit and from then on, you'll start seeing ads from those sites while browsing other sites. For me, it's B&H Photo. After I go to their site, I start getting popups for B&H on a number of news-oriented sites I frequent. If I don't go to B&H for a couple of days, then other sites that I more recently visited will start with the popups.

I've found several ways to get around the popup problem. Perhaps there's comparable ways for Apple users. #1 on my list is to turn on popup/ad filters in my internet security software (if the software supports it). Turn on the SPAM filter(s), too, in your internet security software. That will stop a lot of junk from reaching your mailbox. Next is using Ghostery (www.ghostery.com). I don't know if it supports Apple or even if it will block ads in emails, but it speeds up accessing a lot of sites by blocking the popup ads on them. The difference is quite noticeable on my 1.9 ghz dual processor laptop. On my desktop, not so much so as it's much faster.

If you're more techie oriented, and the problem persists, browse around in the 'system' files (or whatever Apple calls them) and locate the folder for 'cookies' and delete all of the cookies you find. This will wipe out all the little 'notes to themselves' various sites save on your computer such as name, address, how many times you've been to that site and what sub-sections of the site you looked at, etc. There's other hidden folders that can be cleared out, too, but the cost is losing all your various site-specific passwords (ie, 'remember me' on some site logon screens). It adds some inconvenience for me as I routinely clear out a significant number of Windows and browser files for privacy protection. I still haven't figured out where some sites 'find' my city location somewhere on my computer. Big Brother is watching.

Lastly, removing and re-installing Outlook is often the solution that works. I haven't used Outlook for 3 years or so, but I do remember its ability to make backup copies of all your emails and address book(s). Do that BEFORE you delete Outlook using the 'normal' MS Office mechanism of inserting the installation CD and select 'modify' or 'remove' installed products. After removing it, reboot your computer and re-insert the MS Office CD and select 'modify' again and check off Outlook to reinstall it. Then you'll need to go to the Microsoft update website and let it make updates to Office, mostly for Outlook as everything else should be automatically updated since you first installed it.

Date: 05/03/18 10:45

Thanks for the information. Since I am only bothered by that one ad, I'm wondering if there is something wrong with that one ad that is causing the problem.
bob

Date: 05/03/18 16:12
Author: trainjunkie

Is this using a browser? If so try using Firefox with the AdBlock Plus extension installed.

Date: 05/03/18 17:14

I have been using Safari.
Bob

Date: 05/04/18 07:00
Author: WrongMain

Bob, do you use an ad blocker? I use "Ublock" on my MacBook Pro running Safari and have no problem with pop up ads. You can turn it off and on if need be, too.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0407 seconds