Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Railfan Technology > Nikon lens help

Date: 05/08/18 14:41
Nikon lens help
Author: mully

All

I have a Nikon 24-70 lens that when I adjust the length it seems to stick. Can you use a lubricant maybe with damaging anything to help it slide better?

Thanks
Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/09/18 00:06
Re: Nikon lens help
Author: overniteman

If it's the 2.8 version, I wouldn't do anything but send it into Nikon. Get an estimate and go from there.

Date: 05/09/18 09:02
Author: jkh2cpu

overniteman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If it's the 2.8 version, I wouldn't do anything
> but send it into Nikon. Get an estimate and go
> from there.

Indeed. Send it to Nikon or an authorized repair
station. You won't be be sorry. BTW: I've have
one of these lenses for over 10 years, and they
are great.

John.

Date: 05/09/18 14:07
Author: wa4umr

I would think it could be done but it's not something I would try. It would have to be a lubricant that would not migrate to other parts, even in a 135° car. I'd send it to Nikon or if there is a good shop locally, give them a chance to look at it. The last thing you want is for the lubricant to migrate onto the glass.

John

Date: 05/09/18 14:13
Author: exhaustED

They might use something like a high viscosity silicone grease...but I'd leave it to the experts as people are generally saying.

Date: 05/10/18 15:05
Author: mully

Thanks everyone

Gary

Date: 05/13/18 14:35
Author: fbe

If you bought the lens in the US from an authorized dealer the warranty is 5 yrs. In that case, with a copy of the sales receipt Nikon will fix it for free. Even if it is out of warranty if their are no broken parts you will only be billed for service like cleaning, relube and focus check which is reasonable.

Go to NikonUSA.com and start the paperwork there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/18 22:10 by fbe.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0342 seconds