Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Railfan Technology > Searching for a Canon EOS 5D series-compatible eyepiece magnifier

Date: 06/02/18 13:17
Searching for a Canon EOS 5D series-compatible eyepiece magnifier
Author: E25

(For purposes of this discussion, I am only referring to still-photography, not to videography.)

Over-all, I have been very satisfied with my migration from analog to digital photography.

One aspect that continues to frustrate me (... a lot), however, is the small optical viewfinder size, which makes it very difficult to rapidly and accurately set up and adjsust things like focus, depth of field, field-of-vision (when zooming), gauging the degree of polarized filtration, etc.

The built-in "live-view" LCD display on the camera back, in my mind, is pretty useless for such critical work.

In "analog days," Canon produced an absolutely marvelous optical enlarging viewfinder, the "CANON F1 Sports/Speed Finder," for its F-1N camera that gave the photographer an actual 35mm view of the image in the camera's viewfinder. It was wonderful to work with and I find I greatly miss its equivalent in the digital age.

So, I am curious as to whether any of you have found any optical devices which can be attached to the Canon 5D-type camera eyepiece that enlarges the viewfinder's edge-to-edge view enough to be useful for critical focusing, etc?

I have explored the possibility of using an external camera-mounted LCD monitor to accomplish this, but for railroad and other “action-type” photography, there are a couple of significant shortcomings.

First, the issue of LCD “latency” is really detrimental to action photography. As I understand it, the term “latency” refers to the slight lag-time between what is seen in the optical viewfinder and what is presented in the LCD display. So, for example, if you are waiting for the locomotive to reach a certain point in the LCD’s frame, the subject may have already passed that location on the ground when you trigger the shutter release. A similar issue would exist, for example, if one is trying to get a rod’s-down shot of a steam locomotive in motion.

A second issue involved with the LCD monitors mounted to the camera for field-use is their vulnerability to being easily knocked-off the camera or damaged. Unless you construct a heavy-duty bracket around both the camera and the external monitor, I would think that it would be super-easy to knock one of these gadgets right off of the camera’s hot-shoe mount, which most LCD’s attach to. (Think about one of these critters attached to the hot-shoe of your camera dangling at the end of your tripod while you are running through brush to get to your “perfect shot.” Not a pretty picture, LOL!)

Recently, I have done some “Google-ing” for optical viewfinder enlargers, but the search results are mostly for “optically” viewing the LCD screens, not enhancing / magnifying the view through the optical viewfinders themselves. The few that are offered seem to be for other brands or models. For example, Canon offers a “Canon MG-Ef Magnifying Eyepiece,” but it apparently won’t work with any of their full-frame models.

I can’t imagine that I am the only one having this issue. So...any comments or suggestions?

Thanks.

Greg

Date: 06/02/18 20:49
Re: Searching for a Canon EOS 5D series-compatible eyepiece magni
Author: robj

Have you gone to B & H. If we are talking about the same thing, Nikon has a bunch, I know cause I looked once and now I keep getting the ads. I would assume Canon has them also?

As far as the LCD, I never use it for viewing scene just for camera settings. However I don't really see the latency issue for the things you describe. You use the LCD to set up the shot, ie setting focus etc then use the normal viewfinder for the action shot.
I don't see making camera adjustments as the train is moving?????

Bob Jordan

Date: 06/02/18 21:58

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Bob.

I wasn't able to locate such a device for a 5D at B&H. I spoke with one of their sales guys yesterday.

Regarding the use of the on-board or external LCD display, if the sun is behind my back, I can't view it. Sharpness is also an issue, when I can view it.

Regarding "adjustments while the train is moving," I shoot with zoom lenses exclusively, so there are always some adjustments to make "on the fly."

One other issue is that I would have to change glasses to view the camera-size LCD display and then change them back again to look through the view finder.

Best regards,

Greg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/18 22:14 by E25.

Date: 06/03/18 07:21
Author: jkh2cpu

finding a decent gizmo to make camera viewfinders
work for eye-glass wearers is needed for all brands.

As far as that back of camera LCD goes, I've got a
magnifier for the back of my Nikon D600 made by
Zaguto USA. It was pricy, and I used it mainly for
using the D600 for video, but it is handy, and it
gives a sharp view of that tiny camera back LCD
screen. You might consider that, or something
similar.

John.

Date: 06/03/18 08:17
Author: Buhl56

Digital cameras have latency between pressing the shutter release and taking the image that can range from a slightly noticeable fraction of a second up to several seconds. Some of this can be updating the auto focus and auto exposure settings, if used.

But most can also be set to take multiple shots at short intervals, to try and time the shot.

Bill

Date: 06/03/18 16:52
Author: JR24

Suggest contacting Canon USA directly at 631-330-5000.

Date: 06/04/18 14:55

Re the Canon contact number above: It's an inside line to "corporate headquarters" in New York. No operator, just "dial the extension you want." No help.

Date: 06/04/18 15:02
Author: trkinsptr

Greg,I’m not sure which 5D you have but with the 5D3 there is a good feature of live view.With my fast Sigma prime lenses focus is critical at night! I have strongly corrected progressive eyeglasses.Switch your lens to manual focus then go to live view and switch to 10x magnification.keep your ISO fairly low and adjust the shutter speed down until the screen is brighter.Now do your focusing and switch back to viewfinder and take your photo.

Date: 06/05/18 09:56
Author: JR24

Oops, I needed to dig deeper.
Try this:
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/
Phone 800-OK-CANON  (800-652-2666)

Date: 06/06/18 13:29
Author: GN_X838

Have you tried AMAZON..I have Nikon and find what I need there...
,,,,,,,,,,Swede...........Albany,OR.........................

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0542 seconds