Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Railfan Technology > Another photo/slide scanner question

Date: 07/30/18 08:20
Another photo/slide scanner question
Author: junctiontower

I am in the market for a reasonably priced scanner to get everything I have (photos) and a friend has (slides and photos) onto digital.  Once I get these two projects finished, it will be rare that I ever use it again, so I don't want to sink a fortune on it.  The photos are all 4X6, but it would be nice to have good enough resolution for some enlargement.  I have a Windows 10 machine, and an old XP and could hook it to either one.   Speed would be nice, but you can't have everything.  Basically, decent results, and straight forward software.  I had an old scanner that I bought about 2002 that worked great (don't even remember what kind), and then it eventually died.  I have access to three different combo printer/fax/scanner combos, but the quality is just too far below what I am looking for.    When I go to the shopping websites, it seems that far too many reviewers rate the different models as a hopeless piece of junk, so I'm a little gun shy to just order something.  Any reccomendations?  Thanks if you can steer me in the right direction.

Date: 07/30/18 19:43
Re: Another photo/slide scanner question
Author: BRAtkinson

Here's the results of doing a search on 'photo scanner' on this web site.  There's a wealth of information here to read.  https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/search.php?0,search=photo+scanner,author=,page=1,match_type=ALL,match_dates=0,match_forum=9,match_threads=0

Date: 07/31/18 17:46
Author: trainjunkie

Regardless of the scanner quality, it's better to scan the negatives than the prints.

Date: 08/01/18 11:24
Author: Lackawanna484

Several companies will rent scanning equipment

https://store.ezphotoscan.com/pages/rental-products-overview

Date: 09/20/18 21:26
Author: LV95032

Just send them to a place like ScanCafe. That way you don't need to learn the scan machine and scan software. Just ask for best quality.

RWJ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0296 seconds