Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Railfan Technology > Video editing software

Date: 08/05/18 17:27
Video editing software
Author: Frisco1522

Being cheap, I have some HI8 video that I want to download to the computer, edit and put on DVDs.   What is a good free or cheap editing choice for doing this?  I don't need a ton of bells and whistles.   Maybe color or exposure correction, simple titling and a minimum of special effects.

Date: 08/05/18 19:54
Re: Video editing software
Author: norm1153

Well, first you have to get it INTO the computer.  You'll need an analog to digital video board, unless the computer already has appropriate inputs.  Hi-8 has good color quality, though.  What do you use for playing back the tapes?  Hopefully it has video output in the form of at least a phono jack, but better yet, composite video jacks (red green blue), or a better quality output.  Someone who likes to correct other people's posts will probably better fill you in on this.

Date: 08/05/18 20:08
Author: dan

i would get a sony digi 8 that has backwards compatibility,  only a few models do,   that may be able to spit out the output in digi form

i have some of the cameras but have no experience doing this, or even if it works

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/18 20:18 by dan.

Date: 08/05/18 20:15
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

Date: 08/05/18 20:33
Author: cchan006

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Being cheap, I have some HI8 video that I want to
> download to the computer, edit and put on
> DVDs.   What is a good free or cheap editing
> choice for doing this?  I don't need a ton of
> bells and whistles.   Maybe color or exposure
> correction, simple titling and a minimum of
> special effects.

You're sort of racing against time...

About 10 years ago, there were numerous choices in buying hardware to convert tape-based video, but the choices are dwindling, since almost all camcorders are digital, so the conversion is no longer necessary. If you find an analog-to-digital video converter with an S-Video connector, that's what you want to use especially if your camcorder has the same connector. Otherwise, use composite video jacks ("RCA connector") as mentioned above.

You're aiming for a converter box/card that can reproduce 480p (vertical pixels) reasonably well - 640x480 on your computer. Ideally, a box that can convert S-Video or composite video to IEEE 1394 ("FireWire") is what you're looking for. Analog video will be converted almost directly into your video editor's workflow. Caveat: your computer will need a FireWire interface, too. USB to FireWire "converters" on the market usually don't work. Most Macs made after 2001 or so has FireWire, and many Windows Vista era PCs (2007-2010) had them, but were discarded once digital camcorders became popular.

Almost all free video editors (MovieMaker, iMovie, others) can do exposure, titles, transitions, and basic effects, so that's the least of your worries right now.

Others will suggest businesses that offer conversion services, and I'll let them elaborate, or post links - this has been discussed before.

Date: 08/06/18 06:41

I'm using a Sony Hi 8 Video Player.  It is basically a VCR without a tuner and is a great little machine.  Pre HDMI days, but good output.   I could use Microshaft Movie Maker I guess.  Its already on the computer but I don't like it.
Computer has inputs
Amazon has several cheap and free software choices, but I don't have a clue if they are worth fooling with.
I have a video input adapter but want to do a somewhat decent editing job.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/18 06:42 by Frisco1522.

Date: 08/06/18 07:45

WCould you define "inputs" and "output?"   What type are they?  Phono jack and plug? Just one phono jack or 3 colored phono jacks,   a single S-VHS connector on the player and one on the computer?  Audio outputs on player (probably does) and input on the computer?  We're trying to look for a matching set of output/input plugs or jacks, so that the player and computer match in the regard.  If not, you will have to look for a PC card with inputs that match whatever is on the HI-8 player.   
We haven't actually got to where the video is in the computer, yet.
Thanks,
Norm

Date: 08/06/18 10:53

S video outputs on the VCR and input on the computer.  The software is for putting it into the computer so I can edit, etc.

Date: 08/06/18 14:48

Frisco1522 Wrote:
> S video outputs on the VCR and input on the
> computer.  The software is for putting it into
> the computer so I can edit, etc.

Excellent!  S-Video will give you the best that Hi-8 can provide.  Yes, the software will "grab" the video coming in from the S-Video port.  Me, I'd recommend Adobe Premiere Elements 2018, $99 and not a subscription.  I have a full suite subscription, as well as an owned CS6 version (pre subscription).  I have every confidence it will more than do what you need.  Amazon has it, and you can even download it if desired, instead of physical box shipment.  Either way, it is PC/MAC compatible.  Video software works from a timeline, which you may be already familiar with.  

Date: 08/06/18 17:00
Author: newtonville150

dan Wrote:
> i would get a sony digi 8 that has backwards
> compatibility,  only a few models do,   that
> may be able to spit out the output in digi form
>
> i have some of the cameras but have no experience
> doing this, or even if it works

That does work...I did it when I transferred tapes originally shot on my Sony TR51 Regular 8 and Sony TR101 Hi-8 camcorders using my Sony TRV-230 Digital 8.
However Digital 8 camcorders output Firewire (a.k.a. iLink, IEEE 1394.) So you need a Firewire port in your computer. My little Acer desktop came with a Firewire port. 
You can get a Firewire card as an add-on.

This one is regular 8.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/18 09:39 by newtonville150.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/06/18 22:04
Author: spdaylight

norm1153 Wrote:
> Hopefully it has video output in the form of at
> least a phono jack, but better yet, composite
> video jacks (red green blue), or a better quality
> output.  Someone who likes to correct other
> people's posts will probably better fill you in on
> this.

Just a minor correcton to this post . .  red, green, blue are component video cables and are only for video.  The red white and yellow (RCA) are composite video and audio

Craig
mcmrailvideos.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.072 seconds