Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Railfan Technology > ATCS for a Dummy?

Date: 10/15/18 10:43
ATCS for a Dummy?
Author: brassjournal

My searching hasn't been very successful.  Could someone suggest a good site for newbie information on ATCS?

Thanks for your help.

Date: 10/15/18 11:55
Re: ATCS for a Dummy?
Author: exopr

Try this one.  You'll have to join the group.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ATCS_Monitor/info

Date: 10/15/18 13:02

Thanks for the link!

I've been in contact and hope to join them soon.

Date: 10/15/18 20:13
Author: ironmtn

Here's a link to some discussion I had on getting started some months ago. It's a bit involved, but you may find it helpful. PM me if you wish for more info or help. Busy these days, but will try to respond as quickly as possible.
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?9,4417539,4471194#msg-4471194

Since that time, I have used ATCS Monitor a lot, and thoroughly enjoy it. It has been a great help when I have been out railfanning, not only to locate traffic, but perhaps even more to avoid waiting around for traffic on a piece of railroad that's quiet at the time.

I use internet connectivity exclusively, and have never built the radio rig for non-internet field connectivity. My connection is over the internet from my Android smartphone or Windows 10 laptop back to my home Windows 10 PC, which is online and has ATCS Monitor booted up. Many (but not all) route profiles have internet data feeds that are available from networks of receivers and servers that ATCS Monitor enthusiasts have built up -- of itself a tremendous accomplishment. Some of the data feeds are just incredible. My favorite is the Northwest Indiana Aggregator -- most of the entire northwest Indiana area east of Chicago with all of the various lines extending eastward from Chicago in that extremely dense corridor of heavily trafficked rail lines around the south end of Lake Michigan. All aggregated into one incredible trackage diagram and a single internet data feed. It takes some study to understand it (even if you know the routes), and at first glance it looks like an electrical schematic on steroids. But to be able to see it all in one display is just awesome. And there are many other displays for other areas that in their own way are just as special.

I use Splashtop as a Remote Desktop connection back to my PC. It's much cheaper than some other remote connection programs, and works well. (I don't have Windows 10 Pro, so I don't have Remote Desktop functionality built in as Pro does, and have to use third party software to connect). Splashtop installs easily on your smartphone and PC or laptop, and has good security features. I have had zero issues with it.

I have downloaded a bunch of route profiles of personal interest from all around the country -- not just in my area. It can really be interesting to watch the traffic patterns (even from a line you may never visit), particularly if there is also a scanner radio feed available.

Wishing you much success and enjoyment with ATCS Monitor.

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/18 20:24 by ironmtn.

Date: 10/16/18 19:19

Thank you for the information.  I appreciate your time and assistance.  I received a questionnaire the day after I sent my email.

Date: 10/17/18 06:59
Author: RFandPFan

I have been involved in ATCS for years.  This Yahoo Group is a great help and will provide you with all the files and info you need.  May I suggest that you use the wiki instructions provided and read them carefully first.  They spent a lot of time developing these tutorials and unfortunately a frequent source of frustration is new users asking a lot of basic questions over and over instead of reading the info first.

Just a side note, in the east CSX has pretty much gone away from radio codeline in favor of satellite so ATCS monitoring is almost gone.  Meanwhile NS has maintained their radio codeline even in new installations.

Date: 10/18/18 16:48

Good advice that I will follow.

Thank you all for helping me.

Date: 10/20/18 07:29
Author: colehour

RFandPFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Just a side note, in the east CSX has pretty much
> gone away from radio codeline in favor of
> satellite so ATCS monitoring is almost gone. 
> Meanwhile NS has maintained their radio codeline
> even in new installations.

What about BNSF and UP? I'm in Phoenix now, and have given some thought to installing ATCS again. 

Date: 10/20/18 19:10
Author: SouthWestRailCams

colehour Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What about BNSF and UP? I'm in Phoenix now, and
> have given some thought to installing ATCS
> again. 

The BNSF has No ATCS in Phoenix as the line from Phoenix to Williams is Dark Territory, Track Warrant Control.  The UP is ABS/Track Warrant Control starting at Coolidge to Phoenix (No ATCS).  We do however know when trains are coming into Phoenix.  If you want to know more, you can PM me.

SouthWest RailCams
CA, NM, CO, TX, AZ
https://SouthWestRailCams.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0507 seconds