Home Open Account Help 252 users online

Railfan Technology > Issue with Epson Scanners

Date: 12/03/18 15:55
Issue with Epson Scanners
Author: YukonYeti

About the time of the Windows 10 release, my Epson scanner has gotten quite cranky.  When scanning slides, no other program can be used such as Photoshop, Exel or even Outlook.  At first, I thought it was just my machine but others in the neighborhood have experienced the same problem.  I have downloaded the latest software from Epson, yet the problem persists.  Any ideas?

Yukon Yeti....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/18 15:55 by YukonYeti.

Date: 12/03/18 16:33
Re: Issue with Epson Scanners
Author: Frisco1522

Download the latest drivers from Epson's web site.  That should cure it.

Date: 12/03/18 18:21
Author: TCnR

Did a quick search and it seems there's a lot of people having trouble with Epson and W10, they generally talk about updating drivers from Epson. There had been lots of talk about using VueScan as the scanner controlling software, I'm not sure where that is right now though.

Maybe I should be looking at that since I'm not too happy with my recent scans, I'm using W7 though.

Date: 12/04/18 09:17
Author: Frisco1522

I've always just used Epson's scanning software with my V700 and can't complain about it.   I'm too old to try and learn new software, such as Vuescan, and will probably continue with Epson and Photoshop.

Date: 12/04/18 10:36
Author: trainjunkie

I'm on a Mac and have had issues with scanning from within PS lately on my V700 using the Epson acquire module. To solve the issue I downloaded the latest Epson Scan software and now just scan and save the files using Epson Scan then open them in PS later. Works fine.

Date: 12/08/18 16:31
Author: wjpyper

I use Vuescan.
Bill Pyper
Salem, OR

Date: 12/09/18 13:53
Author: grahamline

You will adapt to Vuescan easily. It's not in the same league of complexity/frustration as Lightroom and Photoshop.

Date: 12/10/18 00:57
Author: trainjunkie

I use VueScan Pro a lot to drive my Minolta DiMage 5400 II slide scanner and it's great. But I was never able to get very good results using it to drive the Epson V700. Not compared to the Epson Scan software anyway. VueScan can certainly solve a lot of problems, and for some scanners it's the only game in town. But I would compare results between both software packages before committing to one. In my case, Epson software was the clear winner with the Epson scanner.

Date: 12/25/18 12:52
Author: wabash2800

Vuesceen offers a free software and one you pay for. How do they compare?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 12/25/18 18:54
Author: anthracite

Victor,

IIRC the free version will watermark all images it's used to scan. It is really just for prospective customers to test that the software's functionality does indeed work with whatever scanner hardware they own. Ed Hamrick (Vuescan's creator) makes a big deal about precisely which scanners can be operated with Vuescan -- it's an impressively huge and backwards-compatible list. :) Very customer-friendly!

Also, I think you should see two tiers of the paid software:

* The less expensive version is (again, IIRC) valid for only about one year.

* The more expensive one should come with the privilege of unlimited patches/updates/application support across the future. If you're considering buying Vuescan for "the long haul" of a single (but truly gargantuan!) scanning project, or a long series of individually smaller projects on an indefinitely recurring basis, the more expensive version might be ideal for you instead.

I'm just going off of memory here, and may have missed a detail or two along the way. If any other users of Vuescan would kindly share your experiences with Victor, that would be helpful.

~anthracite

Date: 12/26/18 18:30

Thanks for the info. I don't want to pay monthly.
http://www.erstwhilepubications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/18 18:30 by wabash2800.

Date: 12/27/18 19:19
Author: redneckrailfan

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the info. I don't want to pay monthly.
> http://www.erstwhilepubications.com

There is no monthly fee for VueScan, it’s a one time payment. Buy it once and you are done.

You are thinking of Adobe and it’s “Creative Cloud” software package that is a monthly fee.

Bryan Jones
Brooks, KY
Bryan's Train Photos

Date: 12/28/18 11:52

Thanks Bryan, I didn't mean that they did.

However, as you know, a lot of software, antivirus software, etc. companies are going to monthly rates. What I find particularly annoying is that upon renrewal the fee goes up every year. And sometimes you can't stop it without changing your checking account. (I know that from experience working with my bank.) Often you have to give 60 days notice and when you drop sooner than that they take out an extra month. And dealing with someone in another country to drop is also a headache. But perhaps I'm preaching to the choir,

Added note: I had a hot issue with Quick Books and finally after a lot of red tape, got my bank to refund me. I figured out that the same company that owns Quick Books also owns Turbo Tax that is paying for online advertising on my bank's website.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/18 18:27 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0717 seconds