Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Railfan Technology > Train Dispatcher 3 Game

Date: 12/29/18 23:36
Train Dispatcher 3 Game
Author: TopCat

Unfortunately the "train games" discussion group is gone so I'll try asking this question here.  I recently upgraded to a new computer and was wondering if there is any way to move the many upon many territory simulations I have, have modified and paid a lot of money over the years to the new computer.  Since the company quit selling the game back in 2004 I can't find it on the internet anywhere to download.  I did try copying my original program but it only will run as a demo and not work with for sale territories.  Any suggestions would be great.  It would be a shame to lose all those simulations and track layouts.

Top Cat

Date: 12/30/18 09:54
Re: Train Dispatcher 3 Game
Author: tsmith5414

Grab a utility like PC mover.  It will move all your old apps and files to the new computer with a minimum of fuss.

Date: 12/30/18 23:06
Author: Railbaron

To ask a really dumb question, you don't have the original installation program, do you? Of course you'd also need your license number and key to do a new install. If you don't have those I very much hope the utility for moving programs will work from the old to new machine. 

However, there is possibly more help. Here is a link to SCC and it appears you can download the original programs and for a minimal fee get your license looked up. While the link works, I don't know if they are still monitoring this site.

http://tomlevine.wixsite.com/train-dispatcher

Please save the installation files and license/key for future installs (I have my originals). The territory files can simply be copied from machine to machine via thumb drive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/18 23:09 by Railbaron.

Date: 12/31/18 18:41
Author: BRAtkinson

I've used EaseUS PCTrans to transfer programs from one machine to another...both are Windows 7 boxes.  Worked well.

As for Dispatcher 3, when I upgraded to Win 7 five or six years ago, even though I had the original CD and serial numbers, it wouldn't work.  I contacted them and they provided a special program that did the trick.  That leads me to believe that Dispatcher 3 is written for Windows XP and somehow 'tricked' to work in Windows 7.  Whether it will work, even if successfully transferred from Windows 7, in Windows 10 is anybody's guess. 

Date: 12/31/18 18:55
Author: Railbaron

I installed it fresh with my original software many years ago when I first got this Win 10 Pro laptop. I've been doing all the updates/upgrades and I'm now on V.1809 and it still works perfectly for me - just finish running it 30 minutes ago.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/18 19:38 by Railbaron.

Date: 12/31/18 18:58
Author: goneon66

yea, both TD3 and TB3 installed and run fine on my windows 10 system..........

Date: 12/31/18 19:29
Author: anthracite

By any chance has anyone here been able to run Train Dispatcher 3 successfully on Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit?

It would put my mind at rest if the answer was "yes". I went directly from XP Service pack 2 to the above. I've never owned Win 7 and I'm avoiding Win 10 for as long as humanly possible. I'm assuming that one can make use of Compatibility Mode if a would-be install of TD3 doesn't want to work with win 8.1, but you know what they say about assuming.....

Date: 01/01/19 08:31
Author: jst3751

anthracite Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> By any chance has anyone here been able to run
> Train Dispatcher 3 successfully on Windows 8.1 Pro
> 64-bit?
>
> It would put my mind at rest if the answer was
> "yes". I went directly from XP Service pack 2 to
> the above. I've never owned Win 7 and I'm avoiding
> Win 10 for as long as humanly possible. I'm
> assuming that one can make use of Compatibility
> Mode if a would-be install of TD3 doesn't want to
> work with win 8.1, but you know what they say
> about assuming.....

Windows operating systems that should be avoided, in order:

Windows ME (widely known as Windows Mistake)
Windows Vista
Windows 8.x

All three are what are known as transitional versions of the desktop operating system.

Date: 01/03/19 10:39
Author: mully

By any chance would this game work on Apple?

Gary

Date: 01/19/19 19:14
Author: engineerinvirginia

mully Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> By any chance would this game work on Apple?
>
> Gary
>

Maybe if you installed XQuartz (which also installs the Unix X graphics environment) and then install Wine which supplies libraries to run windows programs in UNIX environment. You do know that MacOS is UNIX? More specifically it derives from BSD and uses a modified Mach kernel. DarwinOS is the open source version of MacOS. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0452 seconds