Home Open Account Help 221 users online

Railfan Technology > Scanner Question

Date: 01/04/19 07:05
Scanner Question
Author: WichitaJct

I have scanned this slide 3 times. This black line shows up on every scan. I have cleaned the glass on the scanner, cleaned the slide, looked at the slide with a magnifying glass and I don't see any defects in the slide. Any thoughts? Thanks. 

Date: 01/04/19 07:25
Re: Scanner Question
Author: hoggerdoug

Wonder if it was a hair or lint on the camera lens when the picture was taken. Does the black line show up on any other scans ??
Doug

Date: 01/04/19 07:30
Author: BRAtkinson

The first step is to conclusively prove whether it is a slide problem or a scanner problem.  Scan a different slide.  If it doesn't have the black line, then the original slide has some kind of not visible to the naked eye scratch.  If it has the black line, then it's the scanner.  Alternatively, if the scanner has a holder for multiple slides to be scanned together, move the slide to a different location and see if  it recurs.

If it's the scanner, check the scanner glass for a scratch.  If so, you need to replace the glass, or scanner.  It could also be something inside the scanner.  Using a very bright flashlight and magnifying glass, inspect the underside of the glass and the moving lens as well as the sensor (just like inside a digital camera).  It may be something obvious like a piece of hair got inside.  If you think you're up to it, carefully disassemble the scanner to access the inside.  Be sure to use a digital camera to photograph each piece BEFORE you remove it and AFTER you remove it to show what it is and where it goes.  Sometimes even a right side up or down can make a huge difference during reassembly, too.  Of course, if and when you get down to cleaning the sensor, follow all digital camera rules for sensor cleaning,  the strongest of which is NO liquids of any kind to clean it! 

Date: 01/04/19 09:04
Author: robj

Flip the slide, scan it upside down, top and bottom.  But I guess I am blind or dumb or both but what black line are we talking about???

Bob

Date: 01/04/19 11:43
Author: NKP715

I've had that problem from a strand of a camel hair brush
used to clean slide.  Difficult to see on the slide.  Probably not
the source, but just a thought.  Will be curious to see what you
find.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/19 12:46 by NKP715.

Date: 01/04/19 16:23
Author: trainjunkie

Agree with Bob. Flip it. If the line follows the image, it's on the slide. If it stays in the lower RH corner of the image, it's in the scanner. If it's on the slide, you should be able to see it with a loupe.

Date: 01/04/19 18:56
Author: jimB

Also check the slide carrier if your scanner uses one. I have had something get on that as well as some of the other places mentioned above.

Jim B

Date: 01/05/19 11:18
Author: biff

I see a black line in the lower right corner of the slide in front of the first engine.

robj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Flip the slide, scan it upside down, top and
> bottom.  But I guess I am blind or dumb or both
> but what black line are we talking about???
>
> Bob

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/05/19 14:22
Author: 1939dutchman

Let us know what you find after trying the suggested fixes.  Inquiring minds need to know!!

Date: 01/06/19 04:09
Author: robj

biff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see a black line in the lower right corner of
> the slide in front of the first engine.
>
> robj Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Flip the slide, scan it upside down, top and
> > bottom.  But I guess I am blind or dumb or
> both
> > but what black line are we talking about???
> >
> > Bob
>
> Posted from iPhone

Yes, I saw that, nothing I ever saw from scanner or slide but could be a crack in glass.  Followup from OP is good as others have taken time to respond.  No necessarily in this case!! but I think some times people dont want to say what the actual problem is.  I know from myself sometimes after I "solve" my problem i think 'duh'.

Bob

Date: 01/08/19 07:37
Author: NKP715

Off topic, somewhat, but my favorite "Duh" moment
when scanning - - - was working on a slide from the
reject box, cleaning up numerous dirt spots, one at a time.
Don't use dust removal for the problems that causes.
Anyway, finally realized I was killing off a flock of
birds.

And yes, hope the OP lets us know the problem.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0403 seconds