Home Open Account Help 264 users online

Railfan Technology > Sound Editing Software Suggestions, Please

Date: 01/30/19 07:31
Sound Editing Software Suggestions, Please
Author: sig292

I recently purchased several open reel tapes of railroad sounds at an estate sale and I've been having them digitized and put on CDs. I would like to do a little editing, just basic stuff, like fading in and out and track separation. Can someone recommend a basic sound editing software. I want a program that is easy to use and understand, I just want to make my own CDs with the sounds edited to my liking.
Thanks,
Ken Gear

Date: 01/30/19 09:36
Re: Sound Editing Software Suggestions, Please
Author: radar

Wavepad by NCH Software.  Inexpensive, well featured, and easy to learn.

Date: 01/30/19 16:03
Author: sig292

radar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wavepad by NCH Software.  Inexpensive, well
> featured, and easy to learn.

Thanks for the recommendation. I downloaded it have have been working on some files. You are correct, it works great and is easy to figure out.
Ken

Date: 01/30/19 21:17
Author: BRAtkinson

I've had fantastic luck with using Audacity for about 15 years now.  Never had a problem with it.  And it's FREE!  The latest version adds a ton of features that work quite well at cleaning up 20-30 year old audio cassette tapes (church sermon/teaching series) that haven't been touched since they were recorded. 

Like any software product, it takes a little time to figure out all the controls, what to use, what not to use, etc.  I'd like to say I can get the sound back to what it sounded like when recorded, but magnetic tapes degenerate with age.  My biggest problem is a continous pop pop pop that if fully removed, makes it sound like our pastor is under water, holding is nose, and talking.  So, I end up with a compromise of edits that is different for every tape!  It also helps to have a fast computer otherwise you'll 'wait forever' for each edit to take effect.

Date: 01/31/19 07:38
Author: sarailfan

I'll second Audacity, it's an incredibly powerful program at its price point (free!). I've referred to it as a recording studio all in one program. The basic controls are easy to use, and I don't think the more advanced ones are difficult, just takes time to explore what they do.

Posted from Android

Darren Boes
Lethbridge, AB
Southern Alberta Railfan

Date: 01/31/19 22:17
Author: chakk

I was able to use Audacity to play some 1940's era 78 rpm records on my turntable, which has a maximum speed of 45 rpm.   The Audacity software includes an option to 
"speed up" the sound track to "near normal" speed and frequencies.  I was surprisingly pleased with how well it worked.   A second option took much of the hiss and pop out of the recorded sounds.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0311 seconds