Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Railfan Technology > Does anyone have any experience with RCA handheld radios?

Date: 04/22/19 07:59
Does anyone have any experience with RCA handheld radios?
Author: RFandPFan

Wondering how are these compared to Motorola.  I have had a Motorola HT1250 for years and am looking for a second radio.  Thanks.

https://www.discounttwo-wayradio.com/rdr2600

Date: 04/24/19 09:19
Re: Does anyone have any experience with RCA handheld radios?
Author: sptno

Look to be one of the imports from China.  Quite a few imports hitting the ham radio and commercial two way radio market.
Some have issues meeting FCC certification(s).
There have been quite a few postings using Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom ham radio equipment as well as numerous scanners which is probably money better spent.
Good luck!
Pat
WA5VRO
Austin, TX

Date: 04/24/19 11:54
Author: RFandPFan

sptno Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Look to be one of the imports from China.  Quite
> a few imports hitting the ham radio and commercial
> two way radio market.
> Some have issues meeting FCC certification(s).
> There have been quite a few postings using Yaesu,
> Kenwood and Icom ham radio equipment as well as
> numerous scanners which is probably money better
> spent.
> Good luck!
> Pat
> WA5VRO
> Austin, TX

Thanks very much.

Date: 04/24/19 17:06
Author: WW

The specs are OK.  This radio, like most commercial radios, must be software programmed.  I have no idea where the software is available, what programming cable is required, etc.  In a quick reading of the spec sheet and owner manual, I did not find any reference to this radio being Part 90 (commercial two-way radio) or Part 97 (amatuer radio) FCC certified.  By the way, being "Narrow Band compliant" does NOT mean the radio is FCC certified for transmitting in the commercial or amateur bands.  Railfans shouldn't be using these radios to transmit (unless they are licensed as amateur radio operators, in which case they can legally transmit in only the amateur bands except in extreme emergencies), but these radios, if they lack FCC certification, fall into the controversial and relatively new area of FCC regs where they may not even be legal to sell in the US.

On top of all that, these radios use DMR for digital capability, which is a totally different digital platform than NXDN, the latter being the digital platform that the AAR has adopted as the digital platform for railroad use. DMR and NXDN are not compatible digital platforms.

So, my advice would be to take a pass on this radio.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/19 17:07 by WW.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0308 seconds