Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Railfan Technology > Microsoft adds Linux kernel.

Date: 05/06/19 19:28
Microsoft adds Linux kernel.
Author: K3HX

Date: 05/07/19 06:49
Re: Microsoft adds Linux kernel.
Author: cchan006

About 15 years ago, one my colleagues was an ex-Microsoft developer. He revealed that good percentage of Microsoft coders used Unix and Unix-like systems, such as FreeBSD and Linux. In terms of implementation, Microsoft shouldn't run into problems because many of their employees are already proficient in Linux.

So the consumer perception that Linux and Windows are "competitiors" is a mirage.

Mac OS X is Unix-based, specifically, BSD (Berkeley Software Distribution, from UC Berkeley). Unix and Unix-like platforms offer tremendous power and flexibility to programmers. I mention Mac OS X, because Microsoft is targeting the Mac developers to eat into their market share. This is not good news for Mac users, as Tim Cook's Apple is slowing losing focus.

I used a tool called Cygwin decades ago, which basically offers Unix tools inside Windows. I used Cygwin to write prototype modules to test things out, before writing real code on the production environment, which was Unix-based. With a native Linux kernel inside Windows 10, no need to use Cygwin anymore!

Date: 05/07/19 08:23
Author: trainjunkie

cchan006 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is not good news for Mac users, as Tim Cook's
> Apple is slowing losing focus.

The way Apple has been slowly morphing OS X to behave more like iOS, it seems like they are working towards eventually dumping the computer business unit and OS X altogether. I really dislike iOS, and how OS X has become like it in many ways. More intrusive, less control, slower. Steve would be disgusted at the state of things at Apple now IMHO.

Date: 05/09/19 10:56
Author: LiveWire2

So what's the Railfan Technology use case here?

Date: 05/09/19 17:26
Author: cchan006

LiveWire2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So what's the Railfan Technology use case here?

We've had plenty of pro-Linux (and implicitly, anti-Microsoft) rants here on TO. 

Date: 06/12/19 20:21
Author: DocJohn

I appreciate the news.  All my PCs are dual-boot Win 10 64 pro (a couple are still in Win XP Pro SP3) and Ubuntu 19.04.  Being able to run both Windows and Linux software from one boot would be very helpful and could eliminate need for a subscription to Crossover as well as a separate PDF editing tool for the Linux side of things.  John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0377 seconds