Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Railfan Technology > Nikon D810 stuck in bulb no matter what mode chosen

Date: 07/10/19 19:49
Nikon D810 stuck in bulb no matter what mode chosen
Author: fbe

Anyone with experience in this?

I set the camera for manual bulb then cleared it all out when rain cancelled the show. Now I am at Dell, mt with a daylight SBPC AND a body on the fritz. Good thing the D800 seems ok.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/19 20:10 by fbe.

Date: 07/10/19 20:09
Re: Nikon D810 stuck in bulb no matter what mode chosen
Author: TCnR

Have you tried Ctrl-Alt-Delete ?

Does it show ' Err ' in the display?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/19 20:16 by TCnR.

Date: 07/10/19 20:26

I left those throw pillows home.

The control dial was set to Mup. I noticed that after I did a battery swap and now it seems to be working in M,S and A.

At least the rocket did not auger in. Now I will read the manual.

Date: 07/10/19 21:17
Author: TCnR

There's so may clever gotcha buttons and interlocks on them now that I have a series of you-tube Videos to watch before I go on a serious pixel burning trip.

Doing some simple google searches suggest that removing the battery or something wrong with the lens to body interface is the most common Nikon problem. There's also a few error codes around buffering and common mistakes that are good to be aware of.

For me, I've re-assigned a few buttons and have some control menu selections that I list on a spiral notepad in case I have to do a re-boot for some reason. Just not the same as my trusty Nikon F.

+ for those really into it, I bought one of those colorful fold out pictorials of the camera with descriptions of all the functions. The image is far too small and the descriptions far too shallow. Eventually I downloaded the Nikon manual into my smartphone and found that to be far more useful. Combining that with my little notebook is working out much better. Google searches are very useful as well, if you have data coverage.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/19 10:14 by TCnR.

Date: 07/11/19 08:03
Author: trainjunkie

I was going to suggest removing the battery. I've had some Nikon bodies lock-up from time to time over the years and remving the battery usually solves the problem.

Date: 07/12/19 01:10

I had set up the camera for a 4th of July event which got rained out. Nothing difficult just set MF on the lens and body. Shutter priority with the speed dialed down to Bulb. The control was not changed from Ch. I made a couple of tests on a small distant displays before the main event became a non event. At that point I carefully changed the S value to 1/500 so I would be train ready. That was with an SBPC on the UP just north of Dell, MT just before sunset moving at 10 mph. I think it was one of those trackwork deals where the forman in charge restriction of 10 mph until 4 trains have passed over it. With just one train a day in each direction this takes a while. With all day without trains the gang can cover a lot of miles of track.

I tried the battery and lens changes in the field and scrolled through the camera menu with no success. While I was waiting for dinner to arrive I was practicing on ceiling lights and thats when I found the control settings of Mup. This is commonly used for sensor cleaning and such and requires a locking button to be pushed to rotate the dial. I corrected that and all is well.

Fortunately, I had my second body a D800 at hand to get some images of the train made. I am on the road playing Free-mo in Wyoming then it is off to Page, AZ for the BM&LP and I left the laptop home so it will be a few weeks before I get the raw NEF files cooked.

Thanks for all the help.

Alan

Date: 07/12/19 16:05
Author: robj

You can set m-up to avoid mirror slap for time exp?, which I assumed is what you did? I am a little curious how(why use) the shutter priority works with the bulb setting.  In shutter priority the camera will pick an f-stop based on the exposure reading and shutter speed but on bulb the camera cannot have an reading on f-stop needed since there is no way to know the shutter spped until you close the shutter.  I always thought manual and setting fstop and shutter speed was the way to go.  Anyway over 30 seconds seems like a long time for a night shoot unless you are doing one of those long blur shots. 

Just curious, to learn.

Bob

Date: 07/13/19 20:41
Author: overniteman

Look in the manual for the "two button reset".
Usually fixes Nikon messes, such as wrong button press or bad programming or other assorted gremlins.

Date: 07/13/19 22:28

Changing the control knob from Mup to Ch solved the problem, it was a ham hands within high technology event.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0342 seconds