Home Open Account Help 277 users online

Railfan Technology > Google Chrome question

Date: 08/19/19 11:35
Google Chrome question
Author: Railfan4Christ

Last week I lost the ability to watch Virtual Railfan on YouTube, or to view the Rochelle webcam on Trains, or to even access Twitter. Everything else seems to be normal. Has anyone else had a problem? Microsoft Edge browser seems  to work fine.

Thanks,

Tom

Date: 08/19/19 13:20
Re: Google Chrome question
Author: Rmosele

Is your computer running Windows 10 and did it just do a looooonnnngg (3 hr long) update? That screwed up a bunch of apps on my computer until I went back into the update manager and saw that there were 4 more updates that needed to run and didn't run automatically. Until I ran them my computer wouldn't run Chrome at all and did weird things with some other programs like Adobe. After completing all of the Windows updates everything is back to normal.

Date: 08/19/19 16:13
Author: gandydancer4

Use a Mac and you won't have these problems. 

Date: 08/19/19 16:24
Author: trainjunkie

gandydancer4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Use a Mac and you won't have these problems. 

I have plenty of trouble with Chrome on OS X. It's not the OS, it's Google's crapware.

Date: 08/19/19 17:03
Author: colehour

I have found that Chrome can be buggy, and it used to just lock up periodically. It's also a big resource hog. I've gone back to using Firefox and DuckDuckGo as my search engine. I believe that less personal stuff ends up in the hands of the likes of Google. I'm using Windows 10, version 1903, with a 64 bit machine.

There were a few problems after my last update. It appears that a new user file was created, and several apps did not work properly. I had to re-install one of them. While I generally have had no problems with Windows 10 and its updates, this last update caused problems for a number of people, I believe.

Date: 08/19/19 17:13
Author: ns2557

colehour Wrote:
> I have found that Chrome can be buggy, and it used
> to just lock up periodically. It's also a big
> resource hog. I've gone back to using Firefox and
> DuckDuckGo as my search engine. I believe that
> less personal stuff ends up in the hands of the
> likes of Google. I'm using Windows 10, version
> 1903, with a 64 bit machine.
>
> There were a few problems after my last update. It
> appears that a new user file was created, and
> several apps did not work properly. I had to
> re-install one of them. While I generally have had
> no problems with Windows 10 and its updates, this
> last update caused problems for a number of
> people, I believe.

>    Agree 100% with your comments. All sorts of problems, tho I am getting them resolved, s l o w l y.  Ben

Date: 08/19/19 17:25
Author: TCnR

Agree with just about everything said here, the MS update is getting some bad press and there's apparently some add-on updates going around. Noticed my DSL had slowed down so I went over to 'Downdetector' and they had a long list of Companies having problems just after the reload date, also lots of Network activity dragging everything down. Good day for reading a book.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/19 19:44 by TCnR.

Date: 08/20/19 07:40
Author: mp345

> There were a few problems after my last update.

So don't update.

Date: 08/20/19 08:03

mp345 Wrote:
> > There were a few problems after my last update.
>
> So don't update.

That certainly has crossed my mind, but not updating could mean that the computer could be exposed to potential risks.

Date: 08/20/19 08:04
Author: Railbaron

Or don't use Chrome - spies on everything you do and then reports back to Mother Google.

I use Opera, and I know there are others on here who do also based on threads like this, and it works very nicely - and without most pop-up ads.

Date: 08/20/19 15:29

Railbaron Wrote:
> Or don't use Chrome - spies on everything you do
> and then reports back to Mother Google.
>
> I use Opera, and I know there are others on here
> who do also based on threads like this, and it
> works very nicely - and without most pop-up ads.

That's one reason I've switched to Firefox, which was my default browser for many years. I occasionally use Edge and have used Opera in the past. Opera seemed to be a good product. 

I did not have trouble with Chrome after the update, by the way, but did have some problems with other apps. I will say that generally the Windows updates go pretty smoothly.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0519 seconds