Home Open Account Help 208 users online

Railfan Technology > Aerial images overlaid on maps. looking for someone that can do

Date: 03/18/20 09:56
Aerial images overlaid on maps. looking for someone that can do
Author: austin

Does anyone know of anyplace that can overlay aerial images onto a map? Just curious....
Thanks in Advance Jeff

Date: 03/19/20 15:05
Re: Aerial images overlaid on maps. looking for someone that can
Author: DivergingClear

Google Earth Pro (which is free) can do this. Open the application and zoom in on an area of interest. Then choose Image Overlay from the Add menu.

Date: 03/19/20 19:03
Author: Sneebly

As one who worked in the field of GIS (Geographic Information Systems) You want the raster file undferneath the hopefully vector data (linework on top of the raster.  The tricky part is making sure that raster image and the vector map are in the same projection like Google Esrth is strictly lat lon while State Plane MO. West will not line up very well and really not at all.  If you want to find out more look at ESRI.com.  I might be able to find out more late.  It has been 12 years since I have worked in GIS.   Things have changed a lot, I am sure.  Every map except for a globe makes certain compromises with either shapes or dimensions or both.

Date: 03/20/20 11:09
Author: colehour

I was also thinking of Google Earth. Also, what about Historic Aerials?

Date: 03/20/20 11:39
Author: DivergingClear

Completely agree that GIS is the way to go if you want to do the job thoroughly.  For the less technically-inclined, though, and for well-behaved aerial images, Google Earth may just be "good enough".  I've created a nice overlay, for example, of a historic aerial photo of the area surrounding Dearborn Station in Chicago on top of the modern Google Earth view.  (Probably from www.historicaerials.com as colehour suggested.)  You can fade between the historic and modern view to see where tracks/yards used to be located, for example.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0325 seconds