Home Open Account Help 269 users online

Railfan Technology > Photo Viewing question?

Date: 04/24/20 10:56
Photo Viewing question?
Author: ns2557

Not really sure whats up with this and how to ask the question. 

I have an Epson Perfection V550 Scanner. It came with  Epson Photo Scan (At least that's what I believe it is). After downloading and editing the images from my camera with this Program, it used to be the actual image that I viewed in the folders and I could see the actual photo, thumbnail various size icons. Lately tho when I go to look in a folder where the shots are all I can see at first, without "clicking on" an image is what looks like a drawn Mountain Scape with a moon, the basic view I guess. When I click on this I can see the actual image. (I also use IrfanView along with this program and have not had any issues prior to this last 2 weeks or so.) It also does the same with images scanned with the V550 when they get put into seperate folders. Is the problem in the software of the Epson Photo Scan or with the fact that the scanner I use was not set up for Windows 10.  I have had issues with the whole Epson Scanner prior but un-installed the entire program package that came with the scanner and reinstalled it. Have chatted with Epson Reps and this is what they suggested I do. They also said that the scanner is compatible with W10 but can use W8 or W8.1. Any thoughts of what maybe going on? Ben

Date: 04/24/20 15:14
Re: Photo Viewing question?
Author: TCnR

I'm discovering all sorts of little 'features' like that after moving to W10. It's not just upgraded Windows something, there's all sorts of little things changed.

I have a Laptop that became obsolete since it has Vista as the OS, it fits the time frame of the Epson scanner that I have so it's been working just fine, or as good as ever. I keep it offline, or turn the modem off and transfer files to another machine through the Router.

Date: 04/24/20 16:48
Author: robj

Ok, I reread post.  I think if you have too many images in a folder, depending on file size there may be lack of memory to create thumbnails for each or it may just be very slow doing that.

=======================================================

"I have an Epson Perfection V550 Scanner. It came with  Epson Photo Scan (At least that's what I believe it is). After downloading and editing the images from my camera with this Program,"

What does this mean?  Why are you downloading images from camera with scanner software.  You can download images directly from camera into computer folder.  Also not sure what editing you are doing with scanner software or again why.

I would move a small subset of images into a new clean folder, the old one may have some errant formating setup?

Bob

Date: 04/24/20 17:45
Author: ns2557

robj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok, I reread post.  I think if you have too many
> images in a folder, depending on file size there
> may be lack of memory to create thumbnails for
> each or it may just be very slow doing that.
>

Up until the last 2 weeks or so the folder size had no bearing on this issue. I have folders that I have scanned with the V550 that are large and some, not all, are anywhere from 5 shots in the folder up to 75 +/-.  This is not an issue with all the images just some.

> "I have an Epson Perfection V550 Scanner. It came
> with  Epson Photo Scan (At least that's what I
> believe it is). After downloading and editing the
> images from my camera with this Program,"
>
> What does this mean?  Why are you downloading
> images from camera with scanner software.  You
> can download images directly from camera into
> computer folder.   

Perhaps I mis stated, I use  whatever program it is that came with the computer to download off the camera, straight to the computer, then go into the downloaded folder to edit with the Program that came with the scanner. Used to be Windows Photo Gallery at 1 time, but since the Epson scanner was downloaded onto computer and it appears that it came with it's own editing software, thats what I use.

also not sure what editing you
> are doing with scanner software or again why.

The Epson Scanner came with Epson Photo Scanner. It was something that I did not purchase or download as a seperate program.  The images used to be actual images, now on some of the folders they are what I described above.

\> I would move a small subset of images into a new
> clean folder, the old one may have some errant
> formating setup?

This I will try.

The attached image is what I am seeing instead of actual Thumbnail Shots. I used to be able to actually see the shot here, now what you see is what comes up on alot of my photo files.

Thanks, Ben

Date: 04/25/20 04:30
Author: Blackfoot

Check your File Explorer settings Ben. In the top menu of File Explorer, click on View, then click on Options.  As in the attached image, a new window will open up.  Click the view tab and make sure the "Always show icons, never thumbnails" box is unchecked, then click the "Apply To Folders" button.  Hope this helps...

Cheers,
Dwayne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/20 04:33 by Blackfoot.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0504 seconds