Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Railfan Technology > drone questions for non-foamer use

Date: 04/30/20 22:51
drone questions for non-foamer use
Author: SGillings

I have never operated a drone and have a few questions for the experts.  First, the use that I am thinking of is non-foamer.  I have two 70-80 feet trees in my back yard with the top 20 or so feet being dead along with dead branches at the top.  I am too old to climb the trees and do not want to pay someone to climb up and risk falling.  So, my thought is, would it be possible to have a drone (cheaper the better) take a rope up around the branches and top and then bring the rope back down.  I would have a chain like saw (about 12 inches long) with rope tied to each end and then saw the branches by pulling the two ropes up and down to get the saw to cut.  These small chain saws are used by people camping to cut down small limbs.  These chain saws look like a bicycle chain.

So, the first question is, does anyone think that it would be possible to tie a rope to a drone and fly the drone up and around a branch and then back down to do the above?  Second, what would be the least expensive drone that might do that if it is possible?

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

Steve

Date: 05/01/20 07:33
Re: drone questions for non-foamer use
Author: Rathole

Not possible, not even remotely.    Hire a professional tree expert who is insured and bonded and let them fix the problem.   

Date: 05/01/20 07:49
Author: BAB

Its bad enough that some flying drones not model aircraft have cause such a problem that the FAA is going to require all remote controled objects that operat in the air to have those operating them licenced.  Oh and also transponders that will some how show the radar where they are at but that part has not been figured out yet. And its all becaues some of those quad copter people are flying them around wildfires and airports also too high. I have never seen or heard about a modler flying a model aircratt causing problems even those of us who with permission operat at a small uncontroled airport.  Yet there actions have caused major problems during emergencys by being either too high or just being in the air while full scale aircraft operations are going on.   I wan to thank all of the quad copter pilots who do operate within the guidlines set up for them as there picture and video work adds much to our rail fan experiance who do not own one.  The others actions will possibly shut down our hobby due to cost and other restrictions.

Date: 05/01/20 14:58
Author: 55002

I’m sure taking rope up would be too heavy. Maybe very light twine or string, then tie that to rope and pull by hand. However, I’m not convinced you could lower the drone with cord attached without fouling the props. I have a Phantom and would not want to try it.

Date: 05/02/20 12:30
Author: jst3751

Aside from BAB's rant which has absolutely nothing to do with your questions, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not even think about attempting to try this.

There are so many things that can go wrong. You are dealing with something that can seriously injure or kill someone, including yourself.

Leave the tree trimming to the professionals.

Date: 05/02/20 12:51
Author: JohnM

BAB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its bad enough that some flying drones not model
> aircraft have cause such a problem that the FAA is
> going to require all remote controled objects that
> operat in the air to have those operating them
> licenced.  Oh and also transponders that will
> some how show the radar where they are at but that
> part has not been figured out yet. And its all
> becaues some of those quad copter people are
> flying them around wildfires and airports also too
> high. I have never seen or heard about a modler
> flying a model aircratt causing problems even
> those of us who with permission operat at a small
> uncontroled airport.  Yet there actions have
> caused major problems during emergencys by being
> either too high or just being in the air while
> full scale aircraft operations are going on.   I
> wan to thank all of the quad copter pilots who do
> operate within the guidlines set up for them as
> there picture and video work adds much to our rail
> fan experiance who do not own one.  The others
> actions will possibly shut down our hobby due to
> cost and other restrictions.

i can only recall one incident when a radio controlled model plane (non-drone) interfered with fire operations.   Partially a different set of hobbyists? 

Date: 05/03/20 11:02
Author: enolabob

I've lived on a wooded lot for the last 36 years. I have a good many 60 foot oaks as well as some tall pines. I've developed a great respect and appreciation for the professionals who handle trees for a living. So much can go wrong when you are trying to work on trees and you don't know what you are doing. Get a pro with the proper equipment and training and let him take care of it for you.  Working on trees is dangerous. 

Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.057 seconds