Home Open Account Help 222 users online

Railfan Technology > my Vertex 150 needs a new battery

Date: 06/22/20 19:49
my Vertex 150 needs a new battery
Author: TRACKENGR

All,
About 15 years ago I bought a Vertex 150  and have been as happy as the day when I bought my Regency HX 1200...which is to say I love it.

The original battery died a few years ago and I went on line and bought an "on line replacement battery" which worked for a while, but  is now almost dead.

Does anyone have a lead on batteries for these scanners?  If a double A option could work I'm open to suggestions. 

Steve

Date: 06/22/20 21:28
Re: my Vertex 150 needs a new battery
Author: royalgorge

Both options are available, check a Ham Radio Store for cross references to other Yesau models, I bought both a battery and a battery pack.  Try Ham Radio Outlet.

Larry Green

Date: 06/23/20 08:04
Author: TCnR

The Yeasu replacement batteries and the battery holder that I bought a couple of years ago came from 'Upstart Battery' going through amazon. I did a quick check and similar products are available from similar companies through Amazon.

I have purchased programming software and antennas from Ham Outlet in the past, they were not happy that I was not a licensed and practising HAM. I've heard they've closed a few stores.  https://www.hamradio.com/

Date: 06/23/20 09:56
Author: WW

I've bought frequently from HRO over the years--always good to deal with.  I am a licensed amateur radio operator (coming up on 30 years of licensure)--they actually access their customer database by amateur callsign.
I have always strongly suggested that railfans get their amateur license, for numerous reasons:

1.  By understanding basic radio theory, you can get more out of your radio.
2.  You can legally use the amateur radio repeater network--it still often has coverage where cell phones don't--nice to have in an emergency.
3.  You can legally talk on the radio to other railfan hams.
4.  Most states with restrictive scanner and radio use laws have exceptions for licensed amateur radio operators.

As those who read my posts here have undoubtedly noticed, I have worked with commercial radio systems quite a bit (and I have a commercial business band radio license, as well).  I got my start doing that in part because of my amateur radio experience.   So, ham radio put a another tool in my resumé toolbox.

Date: 06/23/20 11:05

My hobby is trains. The question about batteries is for a radio...that supports my hobby of trains.

WW Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've bought frequently from HRO over the
> years--always good to deal with.  I am a licensed
> amateur radio operator (coming up on 30 years of
> licensure)--they actually access their customer
> database by amateur callsign.
> I have always strongly suggested that railfans get
> their amateur license, for numerous reasons:
>
> 1.  By understanding basic radio theory, you can
> get more out of your radio.
> 2.  You can legally use the amateur radio
> repeater network--it still often has coverage
> where cell phones don't--nice to have in an
> emergency.
> 3.  You can legally talk on the radio to other
> railfan hams.
> 4.  Most states with restrictive scanner and
> radio use laws have exceptions for licensed
> amateur radio operators.
>
> As those who read my posts here have undoubtedly
> noticed, I have worked with commercial radio
> systems quite a bit (and I have a commercial
> business band radio license, as well).  I got my
> start doing that in part because of my amateur
> radio experience.   So, ham radio put a another
> tool in my resumé toolbox.

Date: 06/23/20 15:56
Author: TRACKENGR

Thanks all.  I'll try HRO.

Steve

Date: 06/23/20 22:39
Author: wa4umr

Try "Batteries America."  https://batteriesamerica.com/  They have quite an inventory.

John

Date: 06/24/20 08:23
Author: WW

So, back to batteries . . .   Carrying an extra battery pack that holds AA batteries is always a good idea, if such a pack is available for one's particular model of radio. Yes, they are availabe for the Yaesu.  AA batteries generally have a shorter running time that a dedicated rechargeable NiCad or Lithium Ion battery, but it isn't always convenient or possible to recharge a battery pack, and AA batteries are available just about everywhere.  I even carry AA battery packs for my commercial portable radios for use in an emergency.

Date: 06/25/20 17:22
Author: tomcough

I’ve had my VX-150 since 2004 and love it. I use the AA battery pack most of the time. While just scanning, I’ve operated with the AA pack over 15 hours sometimes. My experience with the battery pack that came with the radio has been that it will last 8hrs just scanning at best. However, transmitting is better with the sealed pack.

Tom Coughlin
Stow, MA
KB1PVI

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/20 17:23 by tomcough.

Date: 06/26/20 14:55

So... we have another thread that knows no boundaries so I'll throw out some more info. Clearly some folks have found great employment with Amatuer Radio Licenses and in those cases that works out fine. The idea of an Amatuer Radio License being a path into employment is a double edged sword, it depends more on what industries and jobs are hiring and in what area, whether someone wants to spend a short time getting a license and then moving to find work or continuing with more education. I've noticed that the idea of radio and propagation theory can also include Airframe and Power plant backgrounds as well as private or commercial pilot backgrounds, both having Government qualifications and certifications. All three areas have a credible amount of technology that can be applied to the Radio field. The Amatuer Radio License being the only certification that does not apply to Employment. Most Radio transmissions are licensed to the Station Staff Engineers or Consultants based on Manufacturer performance specs and design, the radio operators have license requirements, none of which include an Amatuer Radio Operator License. In my travels to Domestic and Foreign bases and Ground Stations I have been told that Amatuer Radio Licenses have been excluded from the property due to previous issues, my simple RF Tech Operator Licenses had sailed right through with no issues.

In my field of Microwave receivers at component and system levels I interviewed literally hundreds of Technician candidates, then went through selection and training processes in order to complete the companies business, most of which remains behind non-disclosure agreements and Federal Law. Those Companies were looking for Technians and Engineers that had basic understanding of theory and who were also interested in aquiring more skills through Company training, either paid by the company or basic OJT skills. We often interviewed Technical School graduates and also many candidates with Armed Forces Training, very often Management preferred hiring the ex-Military candidates who had current Security Clearances as that saved the Company huge amounts of money.

Indeed later I was working with four year double E degrees with additional Amateur Radio Licenses. At first there appears to be an obvious link between Amateur Radio and Microwave measurements. However, from that work I have developed a learned response to anybody invoking any part of the phrase 'trust me I have a HAM license'. I've seen so many projects literally fall apart that involved Engineers relying on their Amatuer Radio skills and backgrounds rather than their EE and scientific rational. Not just lost Contracts where parts have fallen off the side of Tanks and returned in plastic bags, not just Law Suits based on accepting marginal spec Contracts at one Company and then jumping to a competitor who just happend to have been bidding on that same project, but also worker's careers derailed and lost wages by deflected responsibilities and 'not invented here' mentalities of those said Amatuer Radio Licensees. To the point of having mulitple 100 million dollar projects utterly fail by that 'trust me' extension of technical principle and short cuts that simply don't apply. Thinking about this I began to recognize a long string of disasters with key personnel who had Amatuer Licenses, not just at least three 100 Million dollar failed projects due to poor documentation and work habits, not just removing all the ESD netwroks in order to meet specs, but then a particular well documented $150 Million Lawsuit that stands as Textbook material in Law Studies as well as Technical Business Classes, the Complaintant being an Amatuer Radio License holder. There was a clear distinction between projects with Amatuer Radio License holders compared to trained, science based Engineers with experience.

Hope the OP gets his batteries figured out.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0567 seconds