Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Railfan Technology > Posting unknown slides?

Date: 06/24/20 22:18
Posting unknown slides?
Author: 5511_

In the last few months I have bought a couple of slides featuring steam locomotives off of eBay, from the same person. I asked about the original photographer and he stated that he did not know, as he had purchased the slides as part of a collection many years ago. If I were to scan these slides, would it be ok to post the images here as long as I make it VERY clear that they are not my work, and I wish to, if possible, identify whose work they are? (I suppose there's even a small chance they could be on this site). I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to take credit for something I did not do. They are coming up on 50 years old here in about a month, and I thought I would post them here at that time if it is deemed acceptable. I know the guidelines state that I must have permission from the owner, but as the original photograher is unknown both to me and the person who sold them to me, I just wish to have this clarified.

Date: 06/25/20 06:29
Re: Posting unknown slides?
Author: Arved

I think that happens here quite frequently.

There are some times in life when it's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. Just ask anyone who's worked in or around the US Navy (the USAF is completely opposite, I hear - you don't dare breath without orders in writting).

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 06/25/20 08:45
Author: kayakermark

The traditional way of doing the credits for unknown photographers is to indicate as such. Photographer unknown, collection of... This shows that it is not your photo, you don't know who the actual photographer is and it allows the photographer to contact you as it indicates the current owner (the collection of...). I have used this in published material for a number of years. 
Mark W

Date: 06/25/20 13:33
Author: 5511_

Alright then, time to break out the old scanner... may even have to get a new one, I dont know if mine even exists anymore. Anyway thank you and I will keep this in mind in the future.

Date: 07/13/20 14:17
Author: wjpyper

Arved Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think that happens here quite frequently.
>
> There are some times in life when it's easier to
> beg forgiveness than to ask permission. Just ask
> anyone who's worked in or around the US Navy (the
> USAF is completely opposite, I hear - you don't
> dare breath without orders in writting).
>
>  Based on my time in the USAF (1957-62) it depends on what command you are in what you can get away with. I spent most of my time in Europe and things were pretty loose. As long as you did your job they left you alone. My last year was at Edwards AFB and it seemed that someone was always on my ass about something.
Bill Pyper
Lacey, WA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0458 seconds