Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Railfan Technology > Nikon P950

Date: 08/10/20 13:45
Nikon P950
Author: SantaFeCF7

I just bought a new Nikon P950 and haven't had the chance to use it yet. Anyone else have one? I couldn't decide between this and the D5600, and went with this one so I wouldn't have to purchase expensive lenses, and carry them around. Plus the P950 does 4K video if I ever want to record something. Figured it was time to start shooting with something else besides my iPhone again. 

Date: 08/11/20 15:03
Re: Nikon P950
Author: birdman

Here is what the professional photographer for a major Pennsylvania university athletic program told me.  His impressions are...
PROS
83x zoom lens
Strong image stabilization
Manual controls
Raw imaging and 4K video
EVF and vari-angle LCD
Mic input and accessory shoe
Wi-Fi and Bluetooth

CONS
Autofocus struggles with small and fast-moving subjects
LCD doesn't support touch
Larger and heavier than competitors

MISC
Resembles a DSLR—it's bigger than some. At 4.3 by 5.5 by 5.9 inches (HWD) and 2.2 pounds, it's a camera to carry on a strap or in a bag, not one that will get anywhere close to fitting in a pocket. There are some trade-offs made, with the sensor size being one, and the lens aperture another. It opens up to a very reasonable f/2.8, but it drops off as you zoom, eventually settling in at f/6.3.  Zoomed all the way out to max telephoto will probably require use of a tripod. Video quality above average for this type of camera - probably needs a tripod for steady shooting due to size and weight. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/20 15:04 by birdman.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0348 seconds