Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Railfan Technology > Lightroom vs Photoshop question

Date: 10/24/20 10:47
Lightroom vs Photoshop question
Author: CimaScrambler

I've been using Photoshop Elements for years.  However it is time to move ahead to something better than 8 bits per color channel, so as to improve smoth gradations of shade.  It looks to me like both Lightroom and PS6 support 64bit processing.  However one of the things I find most useful in digital photo editing is to select a narrow range of tones or colors and then locally expand the contrast in that area to enhance texture.  In PE I use the Magic Wand Tool to do that.  Is there an equivalent selection tool in Lightroom and/or Photoshop PS6?  I've been reading the online product descriptions but haven't been able to confirm that they do.  Thanks -
- Kit

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/20 10:48 by CimaScrambler.

Date: 10/24/20 16:22
Re: Lightroom vs Photoshop question
Author: norm1153

I believe the 64-bit processing reference may be to the software compatibility with 64-bit computer processors and operating systems. 32 bit and 64 bit.  Any digital cameras that I've come across have only featured up to 14 bit sensors.

Date: 10/24/20 17:24
Author: robj

norm1153 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe the 64-bit processing reference may be
> to the software compatibility with 64-bit computer
> processors and operating systems. 32 bit and 64
> bit.  Any digital cameras that I've come across
> have only featured up to 14 bit sensors.

Yes, I don't really think about that too much but, ie it is what...,  I think in Photoshop you are talking about 8 vs 16 bit color depth.  Photoshop and I assume LR has a Magic wand but even in RAW there are old masking techniques and a lot more in PS possibly better suited.  I moved away from PS6 a long time ago to the online subscription which has PS and LR. Time marches on,  but I admit still use Bridge and PS because that is where I learned.

Bob Jordan 

Date: 10/25/20 06:38
Author: bobwilcox

Adobe's current monthly subscription provides Lightroom and Photoshop in the same package.  Therefore you can experiment with both and find what works best for you.

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 10/25/20 11:23
Author: Rmosele

I use Lightroom to classify and touch up things I like about my photos and Photoshop to get rid of things I don't like. They work together very well. That said, I use LR probably 95% of the time and PS the rest.

Date: 10/26/20 08:03
Author: Arved

No magic want tool in Lightroom, but there are some tools that will work. Subscription for Lightroom includes Photoshop, and they integrate well.

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 10/27/20 10:22
Author: E25

You would be amazed at the difference / improvement of the subscription-based PS and the older PS6.  Installing PS6 today would be a waste of your money. 

Greg Stadter
Phoenix, AZ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0579 seconds