Home Open Account Help 237 users online

Railfan Technology > Value of commercial VHS tapes?

Date: 11/01/20 11:19
Value of commercial VHS tapes?
Author: dmaffei

My father left me a large collection of commercially made VHS tapes  (Pentrex and the likes...)
Are these of any value at all ? 

Date: 11/01/20 12:17
Re: Value of commercial VHS tapes?
Author: Trainatic

If you still have an old VHS player they are still neat to watch. At train shows they will sell for a buck or two each. I've sold off some DVD'S and got 5 bucks at the shows.
Joe

Date: 11/01/20 13:43
Author: dan

some of us old farts may want them , try the classifieds here, for ones you don't watch

Date: 11/01/20 13:45
Author: goneon66

this old dude still enjoys his vhs tapes.  the sights and sounds on my collection of vhs tapes is a great walk down memory lane..........

Date: 11/02/20 09:06
Author: biff

Since its VHS, I think its probably footage from many years ago that probably cant be found today. If you are at all interested in any of them, keep them. If not you may be kicking yourself later on.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/02/20 11:33
Author: NDHolmes

Speaking from a club perspective, we often get them donated from club members who have passed on or are just cleaning things out, and we still rather successfully turn around and sell them as a fund-raiser.  They sell surprisingly well at low prices ($1 each).  Often we'd go to a local train show and sell maybe 50-100 that had been donated in the previous 6 months.  But you've got to be in an environment where lots of fans are going by to get them moving.  I don't know whether it's that many people still have VCRs and watch them actively, or if we're just a hobby of intrinsic hoarders who can't pass up a bargain.  As for me, I digitized most of mine before my last VCR gave up the ghost about five years ago.  A DVD created from a VCR digitization isn't great, especially on a big HD screen, but it's better than nothing for tapes I can never get again.

Date: 11/03/20 14:13
Author: mundo

Folks have hellped me doing for me both a CD and flashdrive from a tape in Mexico.

Works fine.

Ed

Date: 11/13/20 08:48
Author: CSX1346

Just purchased 5 at a train show from the 90's.  All work so far.  Like to see the old stuff.

Russ Austin
Archer Lodge Division of NS

Date: 11/16/20 18:46
Author: dmaffei

Thanks for the input. I may keep a few and donate the rest. 

Date: 11/19/20 08:37
Author: MaryMcPherson

The question is if the program on tape has been re-released on DVD.  There are a lot of old VHS tapes out there produced by outfits that called it quits years ago.  Those would likely fetch a few more bucks than a Pentrex show that is still available on DVD.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.035 seconds