Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Railfan Technology > Driver for Canon i9900/Mac

Date: 10/24/20 14:58
Driver for Canon i9900/Mac
Author: 1939dutchman

I have a Canon i9900 printer and since changing over to a Apple Mac desktop with the Catalina OS I've been unable to find a driver that will allow me to print photos from the Mac to the Canon Printer.

Anyone have suggestions as to a work-aroound??  Any help appreciated. 

Date: 10/24/20 16:54
Re: Driver for Canon i9900/Mac
Author: Ray_Murphy

Can't help you, but I have exactly the same problem with several different Canon devices (and their support software) and the Catalina OS (which unfortunately came pre-installed in my new computer).

If Canon does not want to keep their products compatible with evolving operating systems, that'll be the end of Canon as my go-to source of cameras and computer peripherals.

Ray 

Date: 10/24/20 17:57
Author: 1939dutchman

I'm done with Canon for the same reason; pricey products without any long term support.  The ink cartriges for the i9900 are over $11 each and it takes eight of them.  I liked the 13x19 print size and framed several prints.  Now I've got a $3000 boat anchor.  

Date: 10/24/20 19:58
Author: Odyssey

I have a Canon i9900 as well hooked up to a WIN7 notebook most of the time.  I'm
actually pretty content ... bought it back in circa 1999 (yah so its 20+ years old)
 for use on a WIN95 machine back then ... still functions fine
and yah, its 13x19 ability is a big plus for me, both for imagery and GIS maps
 ... hopefully I'll be able to install and use it on a
new Win10 machine (a Lenovo Thinkpad workstation).  Have not tried to find a WIN 10 driver yet ...
will see if it installs when I plug it into an USB port.

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

Date: 10/25/20 07:59
Author: trainjunkie

Have you looked into PrintFab?

https://www.printfab.net/

Date: 10/26/20 08:00
Author: Arved

trainjunkie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you looked into PrintFab?
>
> https://www.printfab.net/

Quick look at their web site (out of curiosity) shows the Canon i9900 is supported.

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 11/03/20 15:36
Author: kayakermark

Problem is that the new Mac OS is 64 bit exclusively and won't support 32 drivers anymore. I am still in Mojave because I can run my 32-bit  Canon scanner using VueScan 32 bit driver from their back files (all Vue Scan upgrades are 64 bit, but Canon did not do a 64 bit driver for my scanner). I will not be upgrading my Mac OS for this reason. Mark

Date: 11/03/20 20:08
Author: BRAtkinson

One of the hidden costs of upgrading ones' computer is that in many situations, the old software is no longer compatible with the new environment.  In the past 30 years or so, computer upgrades usually cost me more for upgrading the software than the hardware cost!

After a particularly expensive software upgrade to match the hardware upgrade when I moved from Win 98 to Win XP, I 'discovered' I could buy used software products on ebay that were one or two releases behind current and it would work just fine in the new environment (XP to Win 7, in particular).  I managed to 'trick' a couple of Win 98 designed programs to run in XP and even Win 7 64 bit, but ended up moving them to my old XP box when I upgraded Win 7 to 10 as I ran out of tricks.  Having the XP box networked with the rest of my system with a KVM makes switching back and forth when needed easily done.

Device drivers are a particularly tricky issue.  In particular, it's like software vendors from Youtube to Internet Security software that intentionally stop supporting older versions of operating systems and their video handling limitations as Windows creates new versions of Windows.  Even Microsoft stops supporting/updating/debugging versions of Windows 10 that are more than 2 years or so 'behind' the current release of Win 10.  Why should they invest programming staff and computer resources for an 'old version' market that is growing smaller every day?  It would be like asking Ford Motor Company to keep making parts for 10 year old automobiles.  There's no profit in supporting 'old stuff'.  That way, hardware vendors and software vendors alike can profit nicely from an ever advancing world of technology.

Date: 11/05/20 08:38
Author: jst3751

Ray_Murphy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If Canon does not want to keep their products
> compatible with evolving operating systems,
> that'll be the end of Canon as my go-to source of
> cameras and computer peripherals.

And the sad mistaken entitled opinions of some continue.

Expecting a 16 year old device to be fully compatible and workable with a new operating system that came out in 2020 is laughable at best.

You are stating clearly that operating systems have evolved. The rest of technology (printers, hard drives, phones, cameras etc so forth and so on) also evolve.

Date: 12/03/20 21:56
Author: video7105

you ought to take a llok at VueScan Software

Dave
In PA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0371 seconds