Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Railfan Technology > More issues with Photoshop 2021

Date: 01/19/21 19:41
More issues with Photoshop 2021
Author: srman

I'm about ready to just throw in the towel on this. Since I've purchased this Canon T8i and Photoshop 2021 it has been a nightmare for this old railfan. I have purchased two SD cards. I know why on earth would I have bought two SD cards? Both SanDisk one being Extreme Pro 128GB which is what has been currently in the the camera. I formated it to the camera and have since taken approximately 30-50
images. When I insert the card into my computer it says: EOS Digital (K) There are no files or folders in this view. Huh. There are imgaes in the camera. I started to format it again but it said images would be erased. So I didn't want to do that. So now I try the other card. Now this one doesn't say what it is but I thought it was 64GB. It reads on the card microSD,microHDHC,microSDXC. When I insert this card it says on the camera: Card cannot be accessed Reinsert/change the cardor format card with camera. When I hit OK on formating it then tells me "cannot format change card". So that's where I'm at. I wish I had a handy 18 year old. They could figure this thing out in minutes. For this seventy year old guy it has been over my head. I wanted a higher mega pixel camera then my Canon T3i so I upgraded then was told that it wasn't compatable with my old Photoshop 12. So the change. I ordered these items from a Best Buy so no camera experts unfortunately there. Signed....Very Flustrated  

Date: 01/19/21 21:02
Re: More issues with Photoshop 2021
Author: BRAtkinson

The first step is to determine if the issue is the SD cards, your computer, or Photoshop Elements (I think that's what you previously indicated you're using.  Also, please be specific as full blown Photoshop needs a rocket scientist to figure it all out).

If you have a 2nd computer, or a nearby friend with one that has an SD slot (many newer laptops do), take the cards there and see if they can be read.  Even simply browsing the images on them like an additional drive is all that's needed to verify they are working properly.  If they can't be read, the problem is the cards and need to be formated IN the camera, not 'for' the camera as you stated.  If you formatted them in your computer, it's a good chance they were formatted such that the camera couldn't handle them correctly and trashed the file system.  Note, there ARE a lot of counterfit SD cards out there that ARE junk to begin with.

If the cards are OK per someone elses' computer, then do the same on yours.  Plug them in and see if you can browse them from Windows, just like an extra drive.  If so, then you know the cards and your computer are OK.

If both the above work OK, then it's your installation of Photoshop Elements.  Given the newness of the T8i (introduced less than a year ago), it's quite possible that your copy of PSE needs to be updated to be fully compatible with the T8i.  I and many others have run into problems after getting a new camera and forgetting that Adobe software needs to be updated to be able to 'handle' it.

Date: 01/19/21 22:12
Author: jbwest

The above sounds like good advice.  I am betting it is a Photoshop update issue since the camera is so new, and each camera seems to have its own raw format.  Only thing I can add is you might try shooting the camera in jpg format and see if the computer can read it, assuming the camera gives you that choice.

JBWX

Date: 01/20/21 12:46
Author: trainjunkie

Date: 01/20/21 14:29
Author: robj

New digital camera 101, take some photos of nothing and make sure everything works.

1) LOL, take a few jpg's out your back yard and see if that works. However my experience has been that the files will transfer if you are using a basic file transfer, just not being able to be read by photoshop.  What the files are should not matter as long as you have a valid directory

2) I don't plug the card in my computer, you should have a cable that will link directly to your computer USB, your file will show up just like any device under my computer.
   your card reader on your computer can out of date or haywire, by linking your camera direct you take the card reader out of the equation.  I mentioned this before but of course.....

I use RAW all the time but for basic daytime rail photography, the finest JPG should be fine, lots of adjustments are still available in PS elements to correct a JPG so I see no reason not to take JPG's until you can work out the bugs.

2) no world I know you would need a 128 Gig card.

4) I buy all camera equipment from B & H, I avoid Best Buy.

Bob Jordan

Date: 01/21/21 21:06
Author: mojaveflyer

I have had three cameras that use SD  cards, one I sold and I still use my T6i and a 60D that's modified  for astrophotography. When I got my T6i I had to down load an update for my older version of Photoshop Elements. I don't remember which version I was using (I've had 5 iterations of PSE) and a couple of times I had to down load an update for the new camera. The largest SD card I use is a 16 GB card and I frequently have 500 images of RAW  images on one of these cards. All of my cards are gold label Scan Disk cards with a fast read / write speed on them to avoid slowing the camera down when I'm shooting many images. I shot a lot of aviation subjects as well and use the 'machine gun' approach to shooting photos. 

If you go to Adobe's website you should be able to find where to down load updates for your software. Lots of variables involved but it sounds like by elimination of possible potential problems.... Good luck!

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 01/28/21 09:12
Author: grahamline

I'm having trouble envisioning where you buy a camera (B&H vs Best Buy) would make any difference in operation or performance.

Date: 01/28/21 10:56

grahamline Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm having trouble envisioning where you buy a
> camera (B&H vs Best Buy) would make any difference
> in operation or performance.

I would guess that he is talking about advice.  I use Adorama not B&H, but on the rare occasions I have had problems the folks on the other end of the phone have been very knowledgeable and helpful.  I used to buy from a local photo store but they don't seem to exist anymore.

JBWX

Date: 01/31/21 18:51
Author: robj

jbwest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> grahamline Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm having trouble envisioning where you buy a
> > camera (B&H vs Best Buy) would make any
> difference
> > in operation or performance.
>
> I would guess that he is talking about advice.  I
> use Adorama not B&H, but on the rare occasions I
> have had problems the folks on the other end of
> the phone have been very knowledgeable and
> helpful.  I used to buy from a local photo store
> but they don't seem to exist anymore.
>
> JBWX

On the B & H or Adorama site, they give a detailed rundown on the camera, you can easily compare to other models using the search and screens.  they list models that  other people are interested in and they have complete lists of optional items. 

Bob

Date: 02/01/21 09:54

robj Wrote:

> On the B & H or Adorama site, they give a detailed
> rundown on the camera, you can easily compare to
> other models using the search and screens.  they
> list models that  other people are interested in
> and they have complete lists of optional items. 
>
> Bob

More generally that is why internet sales are replacing brick and mortar, it makes finding what you want and comparison shopping so much easier.  And in those (perhaps rare) cases where good customer service is added to the mix, it makes shopping almost pleasant.  I also find internet sites like the ones run by Thom Hogan and Ken Rockwell helpful (whether you agree with their opinions or not).   Missing of course is the personal element of talking with a knowledgeable person behind the counter, but how many stores still have that?  A few, and I certainly do treasure them where they do exist.

JBWX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/21 10:07 by jbwest.

Date: 02/11/21 05:13
Author: tramfan

DO NOT plug your camera directly into your computer with the small patch cord. In winter, your house gets dry with less humidity and causes the subsequent static electricity buildup. Years ago and three camera generations, I burned the board on my first Sony Apha (the original model without a number) DSLR that way. I had been doing it without a problem - until that day. The board was as expensive as what the body was worth so went on to buy an A65.

I second buying at B&H but will also add KEH,com for some really good deals on lightly used equipment. 

Date: 02/12/21 12:15
Author: grahamline

+1 for KEH.  Check to see if they're offering a lens in several grades -- it seems to 'lift' the grading if they have several to move at one time. A 70-200/2.8 Nikkor bought just pre-Covid looks absolutely new and shoots beautifully, but was listed as BGN grade. I rely a lot on Thom's lens and body discussions but Ken seems a bit more into chasing the latest features for the sake of having the newest stuff. YMMV.

Date: 02/16/21 05:38
Author: BanJoe

I am having my own ssues with Elements 2021, so I'm no good asnwering those questions... but buying two SD cards is good. One day one of te cards may get damaged or lost and you still hv the second one

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0579 seconds