Home Open Account Help 243 users online

Railfan Technology > new chicago railcam

Date: 04/09/21 07:12
new chicago railcam
Author: colehour

I just noticed that Railstream has a new free camera in Chicago. It is located on Mt. Carmel High School at 64th and Dante. Metra, NICTD/South Shore, and CN traffic use the tracks. The camera points west, and the large building on the west side of the tracks is the Apostolic Church of God.

Date: 04/10/21 06:51
Re: new chicago railcam
Author: colehour

Just an addendum to my previous post. It's fun to track trains on the Metra or NICTD sites and then watch them pass into view on the cam.

Date: 04/10/21 09:26
Author: DivergingClear

There is also ATCS server coverage on the CN here, which provides even more advanced notice of what's about to pass the cam!

colehour Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  Just an addendum to my previous post. It's fun
> to track trains on the Metra or NICTD sites and
> then watch them pass into view on the cam.

Date: 04/13/21 06:28
Author: inCHI

Thanks for posting this! I didn't come across it yet. For CN, this camera is really useful. Anything you see going north past it will be easy to catch if it looks interesting, because nearly everything gets stopped at 16th St. Waiting for clearance.

You'll only see a few CN freights a day but, despite that, they can have some interesting power and freight.

Date: 04/28/21 13:57
Author: RRTom

Thanks for letting us know about this, colehour.

Are any Amtrak's using this line and the Saint Charles Air Line past McCormick Place yet?

Date: 05/09/21 20:41
Author: inCHI

RRTom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for letting us know about this, colehour.
>
> Are any Amtrak's using this line and the Saint
> Charles Air Line past McCormick Place yet?

If you are asking are any Amtrak's going past the camera -yes: 390/393 daily, and 58/59 tri-weekly. They all use 21st st. to get to Union Station, not the SCAL bridge over the river, as it is still out of service because of construction. When daily service comes back, there should be 6 Amtrak trains a day: 390-393, and 58/59.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.029 seconds