Home Open Account Help 212 users online

Railfan Technology > Epson Perfection V550 Scanner problem

Date: 12/06/21 12:47
Epson Perfection V550 Scanner problem
Author: ns2557

This is the slide and neg scanner I currently use. Recently I had quite a few issues with the computer it is used with. That computer used Windows 10 as the OS. Really didn't have any issues getting it to work tho it was originally issued for Windows 8. The new computer I just purchased comes with the new Windows 11 installed on it. I cant get it to work correctly. Epson says to download and install Epson Common Updater which I have done. Still no success. I scan in Professional Mode where I can set the setting to my liking. View them in the thumbnail view. A box appears with all the functions that I need along with the thumbnails of the images.  First thing, the Preview and scan buttons do not appear unless I use the "ALT" button when doing this function, then both buttons appear. It's when I select the image that I want to work with, such as the size, backlight correction, color restoration, film type, image type, where I loose that "box" to fix the shots before scanning them. And the scan button never appears. Any thoughts on what is going on and perhaps how to fix it so I can start scanning again? Thanks for any help. Ben

Date: 12/06/21 18:19
Re: Epson Perfection V550 Scanner problem
Author: ns2557

Think I have the problem fixed. After 45 minutes on the phone with Epson Tech Support, I at least can scan now. Still not working right but I no longer have a paperweight beside my desk. Ben

Date: 12/06/21 21:06
Author: TCnR

Curious how it works out, it does sound like a typical reaction to an OS upgrade. Often it's the Tech support''s first shot at the new interaction as well.

Date: 12/07/21 05:41
Author: Arved

Vuescan seems to have better driver support for legacy scanners. You can use a trial for free to see if it works for you.

Good luck!

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 12/07/21 06:41
Author: robj

I keep a Vista laptop to scan with V-700 and print with 3880.   It sits on a desk in a spare room so they are out of way, I also have an old PS-2 version on it so i can see result.

little pain to transfer to Windows 10 machine for current PS but keeps excess equipment out of way. 

I wonder tho about the scanner setting, do they really adjust the physical scan or is that software drive, which i rather do myself in current PS wich works very well.
Scan adjustments seem a little unpredictable and unlike PS adjustments you cannot just undo or reduce.

Bob

Date: 12/07/21 08:20
Author: TCnR

Yep, also using a Vista machine for scanning, works better now than when I bought it since I don't use a browser on it. I keep it off the net, no updates, although they say that Windows Defender should still work but without updates / support. For file transfering I figured out I can turn the modem off but keep the seperate Router on, then plug in a cable and use file sharing to move files over to other Windows machines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/21 08:26 by TCnR.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.03 seconds