Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Railfan Technology > Laird EXS-BNX VHF 150-162 MHZ antenna for my Uniden BC125AC

Date: 02/24/22 11:20
Laird EXS-BNX VHF 150-162 MHZ antenna for my Uniden BC125AC
Author: Floridarailfan

Does anyone have experience with this antenna?  It was hard to find a Laird in the RR frequencies with a BNC connection, but this one is available.

Date: 02/24/22 19:36
Re: Laird EXS-BNX VHF 150-162 MHZ antenna for my Uniden BC125AC
Author: ironmtn

I do not have that exact antenna. But I have another Laird, their model A150 (150 - 174 Mhz, 1/4-wave whip), and using their GB8BI magnetic mount base for use in my car. I use it with my Uniden Bearcat BC125AT scanner. The mag-mount has a BNC connector on the cable that fits the scanner just fine.

This is a top-quality antenna and base, both for quality of manufacture and usability. I was impressed with its evident quality as soon as I unpacked it. When used with the scanner, it immediately increased substantially the range and clarity of the conversations I could pull in and hear. Hearing the train previously was often dicey, but now I can almost always hear the train as well as the dispatcher if the train is anywhere in a reasonable range, which I would guess to be about 7 to 10 miles. I am not a radio guy like some others on this board, and so I have never made any of the technical measurements that they sometimes describe in this forum. But I do know that my BC125AT now performs much better with the Laird antenna than it did with one of a couple of previous ones.

Laird products were frequently spoken of positively on this forum. I recall spending quite a bit of time shopping around for one online, and finding it wasn't easy. I bought mine mail-order from the The Antenna Farm (www.theantennafarm.com). Excellent, prompt service and a good price.

Highly satisfied user. This Laird is flat-out the best antenna I have ever used with any scanner I've had through the years.

MC

Date: 02/24/22 20:08
Author: TCnR

The Antenna Farm has worked out well for me on a number of orders. Always fast and accurate, website worked out well.

A simple non-technical way to compare antennas and radios is to use the local NOAA weather service transmissions as a constant radio source that is near the RR Band. Tune to the local NOAA station, change your antenna set up and then checking the reception of the NOAA transmission gives you a quick comparison to previous performance. Not technical at all but provides a decent check of the set up.

Date: 02/25/22 18:35
Author: WW

I posted this on this forum in April 2021 as part of another post:

"If you are going to use your BC-125AT primarily for railfanning, I would buy a 160 mHz-tuned antenna--not one of the common multi-band antennas.  My personal preference that should fit the BNC connector on the BC-125AT is for a Laird EXS-155BN (unity) or EXH-160BN (gain) antennas.  The Lairds  can be difficult to find in the BN model, however."

Date: 02/25/22 21:27
Author: ironmtn

Since I commented on the Laird which I did buy, I will respond to your post.

I was fully aware of your comment at the time I purchased my Laird. And the model you listed is the one I wanted. For all of the technical reasons that you and others had mentioned in various posts (I had read them all, and they were all very useful), it was a clear top pick. However, at that time I made my purchase it was impossible to find in the base version that would allow for a magnetic mount, and I needed it for an important upcoming trip.

Now I know that mag-mounts are not the preferred choice of the radio experts here on TO. But I absolutely refuse to drill a hole in the roof of my vehicle, or otherwise physically modify it. My choice. I accept the compromises that come with the use of a mag mount.

I mention all of this because I want you to know that your thoughtful recommendations are respected. By purchasing the Laird which I did buy, I was making the best compromise that I could under the circumstances based on your recommendation. And I am still a highly satisfied Laird customer. I want you to know that, as well as the original poster as he makes his choice. And I am sure that he will appreciate your recommendation as well.

MC

Date: 02/26/22 06:59

Thanks for your replies. I would buy a Laird BN 160 with a BNC connector if I could find one. My fallback is a Laird closely tuned to the railroad frequencies like the one listed in my original post, but these are also proving to be a challenge to find. I have a Slim Duck 160 which works well, but the stouter construction of the Laird appeals to me.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/02/22 09:34

I have decided to try a SMA/BNC adapter for a Laird EXH-160-SFU antenna. Does anyone have experience using a adapter? Does the quality of reception suffer?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/02/22 09:53
Author: sf1010

You won't notice the loss.  You'd be hard pressed to measure the loss of a good connector even with a sensitive instrument.

Do try to find a good adapter and/or cable -- maybe Palormar, Pasternack, or one of the reputable ham radio dealers like Ham Radio Outlet, DX Engineering, Giga Parts...  I'm sure there are other good sources, but avoid $1.99 on EBay.  ABR Industries will make you exactly what you want, say SMA on one end and right angle BNC on the other end of a 42" cable.  They do really nice work at a fair price.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0584 seconds