Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Railfan Technology > Fuji to raise film prices 01 April

Date: 03/25/22 20:30
Fuji to raise film prices 01 April
Author: K3HX

Date: 03/26/22 12:58
Re: Fuji to raise film prices 01 April
Author: NormSchultze

But, if you have a Fuji camera, you can dial in the fuji film type that you want for a particular scene.   

Date: 03/27/22 22:19
Author: lapklub

I still shoot a few slides, mostly to add "new stuff" to a lot that I sell and trade.  I was pricing some the other day for an upcoming trip that I'm planning.
Even going through B&H in New York with processing it's getting near $1 a shot. One roll of Provia 100 is 20.98 a roll PLUS a Mailer for processing is 12.99.  
That's almost $34 a roll and that doesn't figure in postage costs.  So the way I figure that's getting Very close to a Dollar a shot.  And that's if every shot is good!!
When I do shoot slides if got to be a "good Kodachrome Day"!!  Nice sun lit shot plus not too harsh shadows. Back in the 80s and 90s I would sometimes shoot 150 plus rolls a year,
especially if I did a few railfan trips with a few buddies!  Now demand for film isn't as high so that may be part of the problem.  Plus now Fuji basically controls the market, since 
Kodachrome is gone!   I remember back in the 70s you could get Kodachrome for $3.25 a roll and processing wasn't very much.  I did learn the hard way to not use the corner photo mart
for processing and only use Kodak processing.  Some of the "other processing" started to fade and change color in later years.  Kodak's didn't change.
I wasn't sure about when I first got into digital but I'm glad I did.  Even for an old timer like me it's not too bad.  Plus it takes up a LOT less room!! 
You can store thousands and thousands of shots on a auxiliary hard drive not much bigger than a box of slides. 
Oh well, I may be taking even fewer slide shots in the future!!
Michael Reid

Date: 03/28/22 06:33
Author: WM_1109

I thought KODACHROME required K-14 chemistry, which was offered only by KODAK company labs. Is that not true?
/Ted

Date: 03/28/22 10:47

Back in the 70s when I first got into slides I shot what ever I could get.  I found out after a while that Kodachrome was what I liked the best.
The Kodachrome process wasn't very friendly to the environment it was later discovered.  That on top of digital getting more popular led to it.s eventual demise.
Mike

PS - In my early days I shot all kinds of slide film.  A lot of it had E-6 processing except Kodachrome.  Like I mentioned earlier I learned a lot.  Like labeling the slides.
When I first started, "Oh I'll remember when and where this was" Haha.  It was a pain, but I learned to label the slide soon after I got them back.  Some of the "other" 
processors didn't do a very good job of stamping the date of processing on the corner of the slide. Sometimes that date could come in handy if you weren't sure when it was shot.
I learned to keep good notes of when and where things were.  With digital in the meta data at least it tells you when it was shot.  Some of the more super one's can even give you location.
You just need to know what it is you shot.  Also with digital each shot it doesn't cost you anything, except x's and o's on the disk. 
Mike 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/22 21:12 by lapklub.

Date: 03/28/22 11:24
Author: sf1010

Theowhitey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought KODACHROME required K-14 chemistry,
> which was offered only by KODAK company labs. Is
> that not true?
> /Ted
>  
Back in the late 60s, I was a semi-pro photographer and sort of kept track of stuff.  The standing joke was that anybody with $2M (1965 dollars) and six chemistry PhDs could set up a Kodachrome lab.  I never knew of any non-Kodak labs for Kodachrome.  Ektachrome and all the various color negative films were much easier and there were lots of places processing them.  Amateurs could do them in a home darkroom.

Date: 03/29/22 12:25
Author: Gothic__Albany

How will this affect processing my SD cards? Oh never mind. Carry on......

Date: 04/01/22 16:13
Author: trainjunkie

Theowhitey Wrote:
> I thought KODACHROME required K-14 chemistry,
> which was offered only by KODAK company labs. Is
> that not true?
> /Ted

What does this thread have to do with Kodachrome or K-14 processing? All Fuji transparency films are E-6 based.

Date: 04/01/22 18:54
Author: WM_1109

trainjunkie Wrote:
> What does this thread have to do with Kodachrome
> or K-14 processing? All Fuji transparency films
> are E-6 based.

I was simply asking a question, in response to lapklub's comment regarding Kodachrome processing. A comment that you obviously didn't bother to read, or failed to comprehend.

But thanks for pointing out the first time ever--in the history of Trainorders.com--that a thread has veered off topic.

/Ted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/22 05:04 by Theowhitey.

Date: 04/03/22 20:32

Back in my early,early days when I had a darkroom, I even tried developing slide film with E-6 processing.  It was a real pain.  I only did it a couple times.  Black and white was bad enough.
Though at the time I though it was cool to develope the film and then print the pictures.  It was very time consuming and having to worry about temperature controls etc.
I was young and learning at the time going to school and before I started chasing trains.  I was into cars and racing back then.  Even B&W was time consuming, because you had to develope 
the film, then make a contact print to see what you had then pick out the shots to enlarge.  I would spend hours "playing" in the darkroom.  I did have it set up pretty nice.  It became easier 
to just spend a couple bucks and have someone else do the processing.  Now days all you have to do is punch a couple buttons and Bingo you have a print.
Plus now it's a lot easier to store photos.  With film and slides you had to worry about dust and humidity.  I found out the hard way on some of that.  Now all you have to do is remember what file
you stored them in.  Haha.
Mike

Date: 04/05/22 10:58
Author: clem

sf1010 Wrote:
> I never knew of any non-Kodak labs for Kodachrome.
I vaguely remember various no-name labs which would advertise Kodachrome processing (K-12 at the time, not K-14) in the back of Popular Photography. And Dwayne's was famously the last lab to process Kodachrome. 

Date: 04/05/22 14:54
Author: sf1010

clem Wrote:
> sf1010 Wrote:
> > I never knew of any non-Kodak labs for
> Kodachrome.
> I vaguely remember various no-name labs which
> would advertise Kodachrome processing (K-12 at the
> time, not K-14) in the back of Popular
> Photography. And Dwayne's was famously the last
> lab to process Kodachrome

I totally forgot about Dwayne's!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0739 seconds