Home Open Account Help 391 users online

Railfan Technology > A very historical enlarger

Date: 07/31/22 17:47
A very historical enlarger
Author: ssloansjca

This Besler 23C enlarger used to be Ted Benson’s and after that Dave Stanley’s. It’s currently in our backyard under cover but it’s gotta find a new home or it’s going to landfill. This enlarger is yours if you come get it. It’s free. Just the base enlarger, as shown, not lenses or negative carriers. You MUST come and get it in San Jose, CA if you want it! My brother is terminally ill and I just need it to be gone. I don't want to have to send it to the dump.

Steve Sloan
San Jose, CA

Date: 07/31/22 18:05
Re: A very historical enlarger
Author: trainjunkie

Wow. Blast from the past. I used to have one of those. Great machine. Hope you find a home for it.

Date: 07/31/22 19:52
Author: alex14ramos

Hi Steve, check your PM's. Thx, Alex

Date: 07/31/22 19:59
Author: ironmtn

I used one for some time. A fine enlarger, built like a tank, and a pleasure to use in the darkroom. And with the provenance of this one, having been used by two excellent photographers, I hope someone will give it a good home and lots of TLC. If I lived nearby and had room in my current somewhat smaller retirement home for a darkroom, I might do it myself.

Its heritage alone makes it worthy of some respect, good use and production of some fine prints from one of us.

MC

Date: 07/31/22 20:07
Author: CimaScrambler

Don't throw it out!  I just last week donated my entire suite of chemical darkroom equipment to our local high school photography class, and they were very glad to have it.  It was mostly 4x5 stuff, but that enlarger of yours would be quite welcome at some school or other!  Just start calling around and find one that wants it.

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

Date: 08/01/22 06:42
Author: Frisco1522

23C was a great enlarger.  I had one for quite a while along with an Elwood 5x7.  Used it primarily for 4x5, 122 (PC) and even some 5x7 negs. 
Long, long hours in the darkroom trying to get the "perfect" image from some of those old negs.
Today I use a great Epson scanner, post process and get exactly what I used to strive for. 
I sold off all my darkroom gear many years ago when I discovered digital is the way to go.  Haven't looked back since.

Date: 08/01/22 08:02

Folks, please don't make this about film vs. digital. That's not the point. If nothing else this is a historical artifact. This is not just an enlarger, it's Ted Benson and Dave Stanley's enlarger. My brother is terminally ill. I have a lot going on and I just need it to be gone.

Steve

Date: 08/01/22 11:53

I am very happy to report this enlarger has gone to a new home and that it is staying in the foamer community!

Yay:

Steve

Date: 08/01/22 15:01
Author: BayByDayBasinByBirth

ssloansjca Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am very happy to report this enlarger has gone
> to a new home and that it is staying in the foamer
> community!
>
> Yay:
>
> Steve

RAMOSon!!! 🛤 🚂 📸 

Date: 08/02/22 03:51
Author: march_hare

Bravo. 

Dear spouse doesn't know it, but when the time comes to clear out my workshop, somebody will find an intact Omega B22XL in the attic above. Perfect condition, but an optical technology that has been totally replaced. 

Date: 08/14/22 05:12
Author: NiagaraMike

Sorry to hear about your brother Steve.
Maybe see you up north here sometime again !

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0629 seconds