Home Open Account Help 389 users online

Railfan Technology > Canon R6MkII

Date: 11/03/22 10:25
Canon R6MkII
Author: NormSchultze

What do you think of the Mk2 and are you impressed enough to order one?   I don't see a need to upgrade: not much is new or significantly imptoved.

Date: 11/03/22 18:30
Re: Canon R6MkII
Author: crr200

More mega pixels and faster autofocus which is already very fast on the Mk 1.  Depends on what you're ugrading from.  From Mk 1 to Mk 2 probably not for many people.  

Dave Beach
Independence, OH

Date: 11/04/22 04:33
Author: cozephyr

How's the price for the R6Mk2-?

NormSchultze Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What do you think of the Mk2 and are you impressed
> enough to order one?   I don't see a need to
> upgrade: not much is new or significantly
> imptoved.

Date: 11/10/22 12:47
Author: NDHolmes

I haven't made the jump to mirrorless yet, as my 5D4 is only a couple years old at this point.  The R6M2 is a little more compelling for me, matching the resolution of at least my old 5D3 that I was perfectly happy with.  I really have no use for 45Mpxl on the R5, and I'd rather have what I suspect will be superior low light performance of the R6's larger pixels.

The two things I'd hoped that they'd change in the R6M2 that they didn't are to put the high resolution EVF on it from the R5, and put the top info screen back.  I know, it's a small thing and I could probably just do it on the back screen for exposure settings, but I've gotten used to looking at top screens for 35 years and I'm not itching to change.

I might have to make the jump to mirrorless next year.  We'll see.  If they'd come out with an L version of the RF 24-240 (or similar) that would replace that EF 28-300 L beast I carry around, that would make the decision to change quick and easy.

Date: 11/12/22 18:07
Author: HRGXguy

...this discussion makes me curious.   I am using my Nikon D700 and three Nikon lenses, which I like just fine.

Obviously, I'm not one of those who keep up with the latest technology.  What does "mirrorless" offer to a railfan photographer who makes no money or fame from taking pictures (which I have always loved to do)?

I've searched various websites, and I can't find an article that answers my very basic question.

Date: 11/12/22 23:22
Author: sf1010

I have a Nikon D810 DSLR, which I really like.  Sometimes I wish I had the 14-24 lens, which I never bought because it is huge and heavy and expensive.  The Z (mirrorless) body and Z 14-24 is a full pound lighter than the equivalent DSLR set up.  Plus, you can use filters on the Z lens, which is pretty much impossible with the DSLR lens.  

I don't know if the Canon mirrorless system offers similar advantages.

Date: 11/12/22 23:22
Author: Amtrak288

HRGXguy Wrote:
> ...this discussion makes me curious.   I am using
> my Nikon D700 and three Nikon lenses, which I like
> just fine.
>
> Obviously, I'm not one of those who keep up with
> the latest technology.  What does "mirrorless"
> offer to a railfan photographer who makes no money
> or fame from taking pictures (which I have always
> loved to do)?
>
> I've searched various websites, and I can't find
> an article that answers my very basic question.

I currently use a Canon EOS 90D which truth be told is basically the perfect camera, I do manual HDR night photography with it usually with L Glass (though I also have 2 Sigma "Art Series" primes which work very well also).  As long as I can still get a 90D, I don't see any reason at this time to switch to mirrorless, if anything I'd probably go full-frame DSLR first (the 90D is a 32.5 megapixel crop-sensor DSLR).  Many new (and countless used) EF-mount lenses are available (at least for now), and the camera does everything without any issues, so I also would like to hear an opinion on why one would want to make the switch to mirrorless also in the world of railroad photography.  

Date: 11/13/22 00:26
Author: exhaustED

Amtrak288 Wrote:
> I currently use a Canon EOS 90D which truth be
> told is basically the perfect camera, I do manual
> HDR night photography with it usually with L Glass
> (though I also have 2 Sigma "Art Series" primes
> which work very well also).  As long as I can
> still get a 90D, I don't see any reason at this
> time to switch to mirrorless, if anything I'd
> probably go full-frame DSLR first (the 90D is a
> 32.5 megapixel crop-sensor DSLR).  Many new (and
> countless used) EF-mount lenses are available (at
> least for now), and the camera does everything
> without any issues, so I also would like to hear
> an opinion on why one would want to make the
> switch to mirrorless also in the world of railroad
> photography.  

I think the 2 main advantages for some photographers would be a faster burst rate and a smaller/lighter package for treks out to remote locations...

Date: 11/30/22 11:59
Author: dirkb

I may update at some point. Currently have the R6, and have had great luck with it. Spun off most of my DSLR bodies. Far more keepers than my 5 D IV.

Usually use EF lenses through the adapter, as I have a huge collection of EF.  I do have some RF primes and a few non-L rf zooms. (and the 100L Macro). So far so good...

Date: 11/30/22 11:59

Same as r6 when new. $2499

Date: 01/16/23 01:15

Update: was able to sell one of my R6's. Have a deposit on a Mark 2. We'll see how it goes. It does have an autofocus mode to recognize locomotives...

Update: Shot an event (a birthday party) with it saturday. Autofous is spot on. still experimenting.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/23 18:54 by dirkb.

Date: 02/14/23 13:49
Author: SeaboardMan

Heck, I still use a1DSmk2  #with a iPhone for mirror less 
john

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0857 seconds