Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Railfan Technology > Need help selecting cable-ready TV with 1080p and HDMI

Date: 12/10/22 15:23
Need help selecting cable-ready TV with 1080p and HDMI
Author: DocJohn

A few years ago when I started spending more time at my FL home, I upgraded my cable internet (now Spectrum), and the upgrade included a cable box for my ancient TV.  I was given a more modern TV by friends who often visited and wanted a TV to watch.  Now I am paying $30/month for rental of the cable box.  I would like to get a cable ready TV with 1080p PC resolution so that I can view TO videos as well as for previewing PowerPoint presentations that I give at scientific meetings.  Based on limited web searches, it appears that cable-ready and 1080p resolution are mutually exclusive.  Cost is not an issue here as there is an automatic reduction $30 reduction in my cable bill if I can get the right TV.

I hope someone can provide some suggestions.

Thank you,
John

Date: 12/10/22 18:42
Re: Need help selecting cable-ready TV with 1080p and HDMI
Author: Frisco1522

Any SMART TV should do the job as well as streaming or Bluetooth.

Date: 12/10/22 20:17
Author: Westbound

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Any SMART TV should do the job as well as streaming or Bluetooth.

Yep, a smart TV (Samsung has been an excellent choice for us) along with a high quality wi-fi to connect everything. 
Spectrum's wi-fi was not satisfactory. TP-Link was our answer here in California.

Date: 12/10/22 21:27
Author: MirandaDepot

Our local Spectrum service requires a cable box since the Spectrum coax service line no longer has unscrambled signals. Interpreting the question posed, I assume the goal is to save money by cancelling the cable box. That may not be possible (but Spectrum service will certainly vary by service area).

The choice may be between paying for the cable box or trying an antenna on the roof. The answer is likely to be: (1) Pay for the cable service (with cable box) and (2) Buy a smart TV that could be hooked up to a computer as a second monitor (or use casting/screen mirroring). A smart TV will have YouTube built in so watching the live railroad sites (think Virtual Railfan) is easy. Just about any big screen TV at any price point at Target or BestBuy or Walmart should be a smart TV that would work well enough. 

Date: 12/11/22 06:34

Thank you all very much for your help.  Looks like I may be stuck with Spectrum cable box.  Outside antennas are not allowed where I live, and I am 40+ miles from Orlando.  John

Date: 12/11/22 11:43
Author: colehour

I presume that you need the cable box to access your cable service regardless of whether or not you have a smart TV. In my situation, That is not always the case, For example, I get a cable signal through our building's network and can use my TV tuner to tune the cable channels. You have the option of choosing to tune an antenna signal or a cable signal.

You might consider cancelling cable and opting to use streaming services over the internet. My somehwat dated Sony, for example, has a menu of apps that are "built in." If you want other apps, you can purchase an inexpensive device like Roku or Amazon's Fire Stick. In addition to potentially saving money, you can tailor the programming to your interests and needs rather than paying for a sometimes huge number of channels that you may never watch. Consumer Reports had a recent issue that summarized "cutting the cable" and they offer reviews of TVs that are helpful. 

Some streaming apps offer free channels, others require a monthly fee. Some are kind of hybrid that offer free and premium content. In my case, I have a Roku soundbar and pay for Amazon Prime, which is a pretty good deal for what you pay for: the Amazon Prime app, free shipping on Amazon, and access to some free music channels, some free books and magazines. I also am a PBS subscriber, which gives me some additional access to their programs.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Date: 12/11/22 12:42
Author: sf1010

DocJohn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Outside antennas are not allowed where I live, and
> I am 40+ miles from Orlando.  John

Federal law allows outside antennas on property you own and control.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/installing-consumer-owned-antennas-and-satellite-dishes#:~:text=Under%20the%20OTARD%20rule%2C%20an,have%20exclusive%20use%20or%20control.

Date: 12/11/22 19:30

Thank you very much for your messages.  Fortunately, I don't have to make a decision right now.  TV is basically for guests.  I have four 24-inch monitors on my desk as well as a 17-inch laptop.

On the antenna, I am president of the local HOA, so it wouldn't be politically correct to put up an external antenna.  Moreover, my home is heavily tree-shaded.

John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0382 seconds