Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Railfan Technology > DPReview rescued (was DPReview closing)

Date: 03/22/23 12:28
DPReview rescued (was DPReview closing)
Author: clem

DPReview.com (Digital Photography Review) reports that it is closing April 10 due to an “annual operating plan review” by its owner, Amazon. I never knew that Amazon owned DPReview, but they bought it in 2007. The Internet Archive is trying to scrape its articles and posts.

Movie fans should note that Amazon also owns IMDB.

Edit 6/20/2023: Amazon has sold DPReview to Gear Patrol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/23 10:24 by clem.

Date: 03/22/23 12:46
Re: DPReview closing
Author: engineerinvirginia

If somebody would step and buy the site....but something makes me think it won't happen. 

Date: 03/22/23 22:41
Author: Mgoldman

Sad news - I don't recall ever reading that Amazon would entertain an offer
to sell it.  "Things that make you say - hmm...".

Still - thought unlikely, recall that Google purchased NIK Software and then
announced it was going to shut it down.  Fortunately, DxO Software stepped
in to keep it going.  I wonder if DxO would be interested in DPReview?

/Mitch

Date: 03/23/23 16:40
Author: sf1010

Somebody was apparently making money on DPReview before Amazon bought it.  There was much speculation about how Amazon would turn it into a giant ad for Amazon, but that didn't happen.

DXOmark was itself in dire financial straits not long ago -- I have no idea if they could buy anything.  Given that their main business is reviewing and rating photo products, I don't see why they would want to bring what is essentially a competitor into their tent.  

Maybe Adobe?  

Date: 04/21/23 00:42
Author: E25

DPReview closure: an update Published Apr 7, 2023 | Scott Everett Share Dear readers,We’ve received a lot of questions about what's next for the site. We hear your concerns about losing the content that has been carefully curated over the years, and want to assure you that the content will remain available as an archive.We’ve also heard that you need more time to access the site, so we’re going to keep publishing some more stories while we work on archiving.Thank you to this community and the support you’ve shown us over the years.Scott Everett
General Manager - DPReview.com

Greg Stadter
Phoenix, AZ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0451 seconds